Not coccidiosis???

PrincessTrudeia

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
Vancouver Island
My vet diagnosed my chicken with coccidiosis the end of June. She was lethargic and had diarrhea (big belly full vet described), eating hunched over & not laying. Treated them with amprol and she improved and was well again and began laying. A 10 days ago she got sick again, treated them for a week, she got a bit better. Now 3 days without meds and she's bad again. Picks at the feathers on her butt, won't roost.

I don't know what to do. It's honestly expensive to bring a chicken to the vet, but she is a pet (we only have 4). I've just gotten them a nipple waterer. I thought this community could help me try some things or recognize anything.

The pink blanket was a month ago - for comparison.

This an update: she appears to have fly strike. Not sure if this is in addition to whatever is happening. We are giving her electrolytes and I've given her a small amount of dewormer (piperazine dihydrochloride).

Attachments

• PXL_20220607_184006103.jpg
    PXL_20220607_184006103.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220810_003925718.jpg
    PXL_20220810_003925718.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
She is very pale. When your vet diagnosed her with coccidiosis, had the vet done a fecal float to come to that conclusion?
How old is this girl?
Are her poops normal again? Does her vent look irritated?
Is she eating?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she's had food/water?
Is there swelling/fluid between/behind her legs in the abdomen?

She is very pale. When your vet diagnosed her with coccidiosis, had the vet done a fecal float to come to that conclusion?
How old is this girl?
Are her poops normal again? Does her vent look irritated?
Is she eating?
Is her crop empty in the morning before she's had food/water?
Is there swelling/fluid between/behind her legs in the abdomen?
No fecal float. She's only 3. Her oops seem normal again, vent didn't seem irritated, although she seems to pick at her bum feathers. Empty crop in the morning, yes fluid between her legs. She eats pretty well, although with encouragement. She doesn't want to come out of the run to free range the last couple days.

No fecal float. She's only 3. Her oops seem normal again, vent didn't seem irritated, although she seems to pick at her bum feathers. Empty crop in the morning, yes fluid between her legs. She eats pretty well, although with encouragement. She doesn't want to come out of the run to free range the last couple days.
What has been her normal diet (everything) over the years?
Fluid between the legs is ascites and a symptom of more serious underlying conditions. None good.

Update!!! It is actually worms. Self diagnosed only vet here that does chickens is in holidays. I have her on a dewormer. Bathed. And electrolytes. Just basically hoping at this point.

What has been her normal diet (everything) over the years?
Fluid between the legs is ascites and a symptom of more serious underlying conditions. None good.
She gets high protein layer food. Chicken scratch for treats. Otherwise they free range in the yard (kitchen scraps, garden, compost, creek)

Vet said her belly was "full of diarrhea", not sure if that's the same as water belly. It sounds really scary.

We have just discovered she has worms.

Back
Top Bottom