Not getting enough water from nipple waterer?

maybe you can do a test, like what @aart did and put open water out to see if there’s a difference
What I did was monitor the daily intake with the open waterer,
for months before I changed to nipples, so I knew how much they drank.
Then I could compare it what they drank daily from the nipples.

Birds will charge towards a new water source just like they charge new foods tossed out.

I had good luck solving the swinging problem by using a bungee cord to secure the waterer against the fence. My cockerel still couldn't figure it out, so I had to go back to an open waterer. Silly boy.
Wonders how long you gave it, before giving in.

Birds will charge towards a new water source just like they charge new foods tossed out.

Today I was weeding my wicking beds in preparation to plant some seeds that need to experience freeze/thaw cycles and every single time I tossed a weed over the fence they left the weeds they'd been eating to come sample the new one -- just in case it was better. :D

Today I was weeding my wicking beds in preparation to plant some seeds that need to experience freeze/thaw cycles and every single time I tossed a weed over the fence they left the weeds they'd been eating to come sample the new one -- just in case it was better. :D
From this and other post could it be for chickens the grass is always greener ...
🤔

Wonders how long you gave it, before giving in.

When I had VN, he would tap it, watch the drop fall to the ground, and look for it on the dirt. He did get some water, but the way that thing dripped, I wanted to try HN. I replaced the cup style on a Flock Party with the regular style, and one of my pullets got it right away, and the other two that day. I saw him peck all around the nipple, try to bite the nipple, peck at the clear plastic. He may have gotten a little water, but I'm not sure. I left him to figure it out. I took out the open style waterer.

The next day, I saw him in a bowl in the dirt, being very quiet. I cleaned the coop, and he didn't come in to be sure I was the same person who always does it, which he usually does. When I went back out into the run, he was up, walking around, and I thought he looked skinnier. So I brought out the open waterer, and he went over and tanked up.

So, one day, but I thought I should switch back for his sake because he looked like he had lost weight and was acting different. @aart, How long should I hold out on him?

Right now, it's a moot point, as I am using a heated dog bowl, but I might try again in the spring.

@aart, How long should I hold out on him?
It definitely takes more than one day.

Here's my thoughts on 'nipple training'.

First, it's good to know how much water your flock consumes 'normally', I top off water every morning and have marks on the waterers so I know about how much they drink.
found they drank just as much from the nipples as they did from the open waterer.

-Do not train to nipples during extreme temps when dehydration is more of a risk.

-Show them how with your finger(tho that might just train them to wait for your finger),
and/or manually grab them and push their head/beak onto the trigger(easier with chicks than adults).

-No other water source, best to 'train' during mild weather when dehydration is less of an immediate health risk. I do provide an open waterer late in day to make sure they don't go to roost dehydrated, especially young chicks.

It can take days or weeks to get them fully switched over, just takes observation, consistency, and patience.

Oh, interesting. I thought it was supposed to be above their heads so their neck is extended upward slightly when drinking (to make it easier for them to swallow). Seems like every decision to be made has opposing opinions! 🙃

I've seen everything from "back level" to "head level." As long as it's not too low, they'll find a way to drink from it.

My waterer is set on the high side. I put concrete blocks under one nipple to let the chicks use it, but some of the smaller hens ended up liking the height boost, so I simply left them in place for chickens that prefer less of a vertical stretch.

early9.jpg

They will partake when seeing any other water source, be it a dish, puddle, drops on the fence, snow banks. etc.

x2. Like right now, with all the rain we've been getting, they're barely touching the waterer at all, so I may not need to refill my 2 gal waterer for weeks. They'd rather lick dirty water off the fence or dripping off the roof than touch the clean water I provide them.

Two additions on HN.
  1. Our waterer is a bit on the low side. They have to bend over a bit. But the girls seem to get plenty of water.
  2. Lots of people mention they are not sure if the girls are using it. Setting a video camera/game camera could show that everybody is using it.
Just my two cents.

Attachments

• 20201217_084320 (1).jpg
    20201217_084320 (1).jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 12
I so appreciate all of the insights! The charging "anything new" whether its food, water, etc. seems like the most logical explanation for their behavior. I'll continue to monitor their water usage, and play around with the height and stability of the waterer just to be sure it's optimal.

Woah - what an aggressive response! I thought nipple waterers were recommended for keeping the water clean. This was also the best reviewed heated drinker I could find. They don't need to "suck" on the nipple... just peck.
I’ve got one for my 6 pullets. I add 1.5 gallons every 3 days. Nipples don’t freeze here in the Boston area but we haven’t had below 0 temps so far this winter.

Back
Top Bottom