Not Laying after 2 Year Molt

Terri Flaxman

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2017
I have 3 chickens. All three are same age. All were laying fine. In June -winter here in Australia -they all had a hard 2 year old molt and didnt lay for about 3 months. One began laying again and we generally get an egg a day from her. The other two have not laid since. Their wattle and crown are red. They have been checked for mites - none. They have been wormed. They are eating fine. They have layer pellets available all the time. They have a bowl of crushed shell grit all the time and plenty of water. They get some table scraps which they love. It is summer here and we get about 14 hours of daylight. They are protected by 2 alpacas and so I don't think they are stressed or afraid of any preditors. We don't eat our pets so they won't get their heads chopped even though hubby has threatened, but there must be a reason they are not laying. Please give me any advice. Thanks.

What breeds are they? Is it possible they have a hidden nest somewhere? Some breeds have a sharp decline in egg production by their third season. I would try switching to a higher protein ration to see if you can jump start the system. Sometimes they get deficient on a layer ration. I recommend 20-22% protein.

I have 3 chickens. All three are same age. All were laying fine. In June -winter here in Australia -they all had a hard 2 year old molt and didnt lay for about 3 months. One began laying again and we generally get an egg a day from her. The other two have not laid since. Their wattle and crown are red. They have been checked for mites - none. They have been wormed. They are eating fine. They have layer pellets available all the time. They have a bowl of crushed shell grit all the time and plenty of water. They get some table scraps which they love. It is summer here and we get about 14 hours of daylight. They are protected by 2 alpacas and so I don't think they are stressed or afraid of any preditors. We don't eat our pets so they won't get their heads chopped even though hubby has threatened, but there must be a reason they are not laying. Please give me any advice. Thanks.

I agree they probably have a hidden nest or their feed is not high enough protein maybe change them to non medicated grower

Thanks for the answers. No hidden nests. The house is off the ground and the rest of their pens are open. There is no where they can go to that we can't see. Their layer mix is 22% protein. Have also tried some dry cat food which was 25% protein as that was suggested by an old time farmer. Is there any other form of protein I could give?
I should also have said that it does not appear that their eggs are being eaten by anything - no evidence of that and we get the one egg each day from the other chook.

I would say they aren't eating the 22% feed. How old is the feed? Is it moldy? Do you clean the feeder regularly?
I have a 12 pound galvanized feeder. 20160509_122326.jpg and powder in the feed builds up on the bottom.
20170823_093024.jpg
and will spoil and get moldy in the summer. I keep my feeder inside the coop. I let the feeder get nearly empty every 3 months, more often in damp weather, so I can thoroughly clean and refill with fresh feed. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom