Not molting...what is this???

AnconaMommy

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Loveland, Colorado
My hen is about a year and a half. She has looked like this for over six months now. At first, I suspected she was just molting, but that's definitely not the case for how long it has been going on. We do have a rooster, and although his mounting her doesn't help the situation, she was looking like this before he even came along.

I've tried blue kote, no peck ointment, Neosporin, feather fixer feed, extra protein (mainly through mealworms), tried separating her (in case it was a pecking issue)...i'I out of ideas short of having her wear an apron. Any ideas and advice, friends?
20180819_160633.jpg
20180819_160641.jpg

Attachments

• 20180819_160639.jpg
    20180819_160639.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 3
She's bottom of the pecking order, I assume? That means she's the most submissive, and gets to be the rooster "favorite". So she gets mated more often than other hens because she won't fight back. So her feathers break off on her wings and back from all the repeated mounting.
I've noticed once bald, bully hens will continue to peck out newly growing feathers. I've isolated the bottom of the pecking order for 2 months now and she still hasn't grown in her back feathers yet. I think you have to wait until she molts to grow back new feathers if I remember right.

I have 3 hens that look like that, it’s from the rooster. I had to put saddles on the hens and ultimately I separated the rooster for a while to give them a break. 1 hen has molted and has her feathers back. 2 more still look like your poor girl.

I’m guessing your rooster is young, like mine. He turned a year in April and is all hormones. If you can either separate the rooster or put a saddle on her.

She's bottom of the pecking order, I assume? That means she's the most submissive, and gets to be the rooster "favorite". So she gets mated more often than other hens because she won't fight back. So her feathers break off on her wings and back from all the repeated mounting.
I've noticed once bald, bully hens will continue to peck out newly growing feathers. I've isolated the bottom of the pecking order for 2 months now and she still hasn't grown in her back feathers yet. I think you have to wait until she molts to grow back new feathers if I remember right.

She is towards the bottom, but not the lowest. She was m8smiss feathers even before the rooster was around...just much worse now. I may separate the rooster out for a while, rather than separate her again. Thank you!

Since she is around the age for her first big molt, she may soon regrow her feathers. I would try the apron until then. I made my own for my pullets after their first year when they were over mated. Sometimetimes feather on’t grow back until after a molt. Here is a pic of a homemade chicken saddle/apron similar to ones I made with polarfleece:
upload_2018-8-19_22-0-46.jpeg

Since she is around the age for her first big molt, she may soon regrow her feathers. I would try the apron until then. I made my own for my pullets after their first year when they were over mated. Sometimetimes feather on’t grow back until after a molt. Here is a pic of a homemade chicken saddle/apron similar to ones I made with polarfleece:
View attachment 1510194

Thank you so much for this!!!

Back
Top Bottom