Not so stupid crows

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by columbiacritter, May 21, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My egg production dropped drastically over the last couple days for both chickens and ducks. I was suspicious of a critter but was finding absolutely no sign of the eggs being eaten. This morning I watched a crow fly into the run, walk into the coop come out with an egg and fly away. I spent an hour replacing the netting over the run so they can't get inside anymore.

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Tomorrow the crow will come with scissors. [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    yikes! My prime suspect would have been a snake, but you saw it happen...

I doubt many with firsthand knowledge of crows would doubt their intelligence

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Crows are very intelligent birds. My Dad battled crows for the garden goodies. They knew the difference between a 22 rifle barrel and a stick poked out the door. He was so proud when he finally shot one. He hung it on a pole in the garden and had no more crows long after it rotted away. Watch that your crows do not figure out a way to get in again.

6. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Crows are actually pretty smart and absolutely oppurtunist.The will take baby chicks and eggs as you know.I haven't had a problem with them to date, and encourage them to hang around my property.They are a very good hawk deterent, and i have redtails that fly by eyeballin my hens.So far for me crows are a good thing.Many don't like or want crows arounds..Good luck.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by