Not sure if this is the right place, but what is wrong with my pullet's tail? Rumpless Marans?

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
She is my only BCM pullet that I got from shipped eggs, about 4 mos old. She has never had a tail. Got my son to catch her today to take pics. She has a very stubby tail that she holds down instead of up, always. Seems to only have a few feathers, not normal at all. What do you think? Her vent looks normal underneath and isn't super dirty, so she must hold it out of the way when she poops. Not sure. But when she's walking around, her bottom is very rounded like an Aracauna.

Last edited:
Looks like a rumpless booty with a stray tail feather to me! Can you feel a tail bone? If you have a tailed hen, it is easy to compare. Rumpless chickens are missing both the tailbone and oil gland at the base of the tail. 'tis a dominant gene, too.

Not the same color as your girl, but this is a rumpless booty of a sitting broody!

So this can just pop up in other breeds? And isn't something I should worry about? She's very healthy, but I was worried something was wrong with her! And yes, I think you're right on the missing the tailbone. When I was checking her out, her tailbone didn't feel right, and not being there at all sounds about right. I'll check it out again tomorrow if I have time and can catch her! Whew! I'm glad this isn't some bizarre deadly mutation. :D

I suspect that the person you got your shipped eggs from might've toyed with rumpless chickens, maybe crossing Araucanas to Marans for olive eggers or something. It isn't problematic or something to worry about at all, though she has a good chance of passing it on if you hatch her eggs because of the trait's dominance.

It's so frustrating trying to get purebred chickens!!! Oh well, we love her anyway. She's so funny looking! LOL

Back
Top Bottom