Not Sure if You've Got a Pullet or a Cockerel? Click here! thread 3

Pics
Totoro is an 8 week old crested cream legbar mix. Any guesses?

Hi all! I love reading and learning from this thread - thanks to all that give their time to make it possible. Earlier this summer we added 2 chicks to small flock - 1 Silkie & 1Silkie mix. The farmer said they were 7 weeks. Now they are about 13 weeks. These chicks are still peeping and I'm wondering if age is correct...
I have no clue about gender of Silkie. The Silkie mix is questionable....it has 5 toes, big feathered feet and small red wattles. Would a Silkie mix develop saddle feathers? Can't keep roosters here and I've never seen saddle feathers outside of BYC photos!
Any thoughts are appreciated :)
7 weeks:

Current:

Hi all! I love reading and learning from this thread - thanks to all that give their time to make it possible. Earlier this summer we added 2 chicks to small flock - 1 Silkie & 1Silkie mix. The farmer said they were 7 weeks. Now they are about 13 weeks. These chicks are still peeping and I'm wondering if age is correct...
I have no clue about gender of Silkie. The Silkie mix is questionable....it has 5 toes, big feathered feet and small red wattles. Would a Silkie mix develop saddle feathers? Can't keep roosters here and I've never seen saddle feathers outside of BYC photos!
Any thoughts are appreciated
smile.png

7 weeks:

Current:

Those chicks were only about 3 to 4 weeks old when you got them. That would put them at about 8 to 9 weeks old now. Silkies get saddle feathers, it's just harder to see them with the silkied feathering. Since the mix has normal feathering (the gene for silkie feathers is recessive) saddle feathers should be easily seen at 12 to 14 weeks, if male. Do you know which parent the barring came from for the mix?

Thanks for your help, junebuggena. Those ages seem more appropriate. Soon after bringing chicks home I emailed the farmer about which parent was barred, but didn't hear back from him... I would assume it's more common for a standard barred roo to mate s Silkie hen than Silkie roo to mate standard barred hen. Guess I will have to wait a bit longer for gender confirmation. Seems unlikely a pullet with those red wattles
1f615.png

Hello, I have updated photos of the chickens and was wondering on gender confirmation.

14.5 wk Easter Egger--Sunshine

14.5 wk Olive Egger (Maran cross)--Lady Jane Grey

14.5 wk Olive egger (splash)--Honey

13.5 wk welsummer--Sassafras

Thank you for your help!

Hello, I have updated photos of the chickens and was wondering on gender confirmation.

14.5 wk Easter Egger--Sunshine

14.5 wk Olive Egger (Maran cross)--Lady Jane Grey

14.5 wk Olive egger (splash)--Honey

13.5 wk welsummer--Sassafras

Thank you for your help!

all look like pullets

Back
Top Bottom