Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

View attachment 1345495 View attachment 1345497 View attachment 1345512 View attachment 1345516 View attachment 1345517 These are four week old chicks and I'm wondering what your early guesses are. I'm feeling like all 5 are cockerels.
1) EE
2) EE
3) EE
4) Australorp
5) Australorp
Sorry if they upload weird but the numbers are in purple on each picture.
The first EE is the only one that looks cockerel-ish with the red wing patches coming in. It is a different looking bird, very stocky, like there is some Cornish in it. Do you know the mix?
The other EEs aren't showing any obvious male traits that I can see... yet
Australorp pullets can show largish colored combs and wattles at an early age. They can be hard to sex young if there's no male for comparison. Be prepared to wait.

Hello everyone! So I am just getting started with a small flock and picked up these two barred rock chicks straight run today from a local feed store. The owner said they were around 4 weeks old. They both have dark marks on their legs and identical feather colors but one has a small yellow comb and the other is much larger and redder already. Did I pick up a little roo on accident (or worse, two?) I stayed away from the much lighter feathered ones but the attitude of the larger red combed one is making me have doubts now. View attachment 1345808 View attachment 1345809
Cockerel on the left, unsure of the other.

The first EE is the only one that looks cockerel-ish with the red wing patches coming in. It is a different looking bird, very stocky, like there is some Cornish in it. Do you know the mix?
The other EEs aren't showing any obvious male traits that I can see... yet
Australorp pullets can show largish colored combs and wattles at an early age. They can be hard to sex young if there's no male for comparison. Be prepared to wait.
I bought them from a feed store that had mixed the left over "Americauna's" with their meat birds. 1 & 2 were identical but 1 suddenly got way stockier. There's no telling what they are mixed with! All 5 are starting to get pink wattles in which has me nervous

I bought them from a feed store that had mixed the left over "Americauna's" with their meat birds. 1 & 2 were identical but 1 suddenly got way stockier. There's no telling what they are mixed with! All 5 are starting to get pink wattles in which has me nervous
Could be that #1 isn't even an EE then. "Americaunas" from a larger hatchery are fairly standardized for what they are and not mixed... mostly Ameraucana in type (shape, comb, facial fuzz) but are non standard for variety (color) ...they mostly have green legs and pea combs and lay blue or green eggs. An EE from a backyard breeder could be just about anything... it really depends on where your feed store got the chicks. EEs generally don't get wattles either.

Thanks! Came from a hatchery. I bought them second hand. No telling, I guess.
Just did a little reading on this. Rose combs are dominant, which means if both parents (with rose combs) carry a recessive single comb gene, about 25% of their offspring will have single combs. There was also some discussion/disagreement that intentionally breeding in single combed birds increases fertility, so it may have been intentionally done. I've heard occasional reports of silver laced Wyandottes having single combs.

Just did a little reading on this. Rose combs are dominant, which means if both parents (with rose combs) carry a recessive single comb gene, about 25% of their offspring will have single combs. There was also some discussion/disagreement that intentionally breeding in single combed birds increases fertility, so it may have been intentionally done. I've heard occasional reports of silver laced Wyandottes having single combs.
Thank you so much! That is very interesting. It’s like a blue eyed kid from two brown eyed parents!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom