Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

I'm back, getting those pictures proved to be quite the chore. I am pretty sure I already know all of my BR are cockerels, I went and bought some EE "pullets" today to replace if so. The guy at the store couldn't believe that I pulled 3 from the cockerels, but I'm a newb and full of false hopes. 1) 2) The wattles are dropping , they are 5 weeks. All three of them have this coloring/ pattern And I felt pretty sure about my buff orp being a pullet, but someone put some fear in me. She was supposed to be a pullet, too. She is the family favorite, particularly that of my 4 year old :/ Big Bertha, please don't be Big Bird.
Not sure why you think cockerels? They're colored like pullets. You see how light Aber's BRs are? Yes, they have combs and wattles but they aren't excessively developed for 5 weeks. ETA: I have a gold sexlink this time and it's done wonders for my peace of mind. As long as nobody is more developed than the 100% pullet, then I don't worry! Here's 5 weeks (I wish you could see that her wattles are exactly like your chicks'):
And then 8 so you can see how much change is normal. Comb growth is OK, just not hyper fast or bright red yet!

Last edited:
The buff Orpington is the one in question. Strange thing is "she" is the same age as the lavender. Thanks in advance!

The good news is that a large lav orp is perfectly normal. I raise English Lav Orps & they are HUGE. My hens get to be around 9-10lb at 2 yrs old & my roo's about 14lbs.

The bad news is that you buff looks like a male. Sorry.

Here's a 6 mo old lav pullet next to an 8 month old cock (Double Barred Choc Cuckoo Orp)

Not sure why you think cockerels? They're colored like pullets. You see how light Aber's BRs are? Yes, they have combs and wattles but they aren't excessively developed for 5 weeks.
I have another in exactly the same color and pattern as the other two that several had said is roo. I was assuming cockerels as I thought a roo would be much lighter than pullets and if this is a roo shouldn't the other two be as well? My boyfriend is going to kill me if he finds out I just got four new babies for nothin'
lau.gif

I'm back, getting those pictures proved to be quite the chore. I am pretty sure I already know all of my BR are cockerels, I went and bought some EE "pullets" today to replace if so. The guy at the store couldn't believe that I pulled 3 from the cockerels, but I'm a newb and full of false hopes.

1)

2)

The wattles are dropping , they are 5 weeks. All three of them have this coloring/ pattern

And I felt pretty sure about my buff orp being a pullet, but someone put some fear in me. She was supposed to be a pullet, too. She is the family favorite, particularly that of my 4 year old :/ Big Bertha, please don't be Big Bird.

No obvious cockerels yet.

I have another in exactly the same color and pattern as the other two that several had said is roo. I was assuming cockerels as I thought a roo would be much lighter than pullets and if this is a roo shouldn't the other two be as well? My boyfriend is going to kill me if he finds out I just got four new babies for nothin'
lau.gif

And another not a for sure cockerel yet.

The good news is that a large lav orp is perfectly normal. I raise English Lav Orps & they are HUGE. My hens get to be around 9-10lb at 2 yrs old & my roo's about 14lbs. The bad news is that you buff looks like a male. Sorry. Here's a 6 mo old lav pullet next to an 8 month old cock (Double Barred Choc Cuckoo Orp)
Thank you! So sad as he is so sweet. Beautiful pic of your lavender!

They are about 4 maybe 4.5 weeks old. All of them are, the Lavenders and the Easter Egger. Im sorry, i am new to this site; i think i replied more than one time
1f601.png

Sorry, I was directing that to the person who posted the Lavender Orpingtons. I have more experience with Orps. I think your EEs are too young still, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Clara is starting to make me nervous. She carries herself in a henny fashion. But these last few days (6 weeks old) her wattle and around her come has been looking so pink. She/he was a bit flustered in this picture, but not much Pinker than the normal.

Please tell me she could still be a she?

And just looking for reassurance that I have at least one pullet?

I'm suspicious of these, but not enough to say cockerels. Please post standing profile pictures in a couple weeks.

Back
Top Bottom