Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Sorry about your loss... predator attacks are heartbreaking. Both birds you are questioning look like cockerels... bright red combs before 6 wks gives them away.

Funny I was surprised to see both, I didn't think the black one was, and I had to do a double take at the picture I posted. In person her comb doesn't look red at all, so it is strange that in this picture it does look red (I'm calling them her until proven otherwise ;)) I definitely agree that the other one is a cockerel. I'm going to keep hoping the black one is a girl, but am now paying much closer attention to her comb. Crazy, it just doesn't look red in person.

As far as the predator attack, it is a red fox, saw it in person today in my backyard, it was coming back for more! My flock won't be happy not free ranging, but I'm not risking anymore loss right now.

These ameracauna chicks were born 4/20 and I purchased them all under the impression they were female but my grey one is so much larger than the other 5. Is this a chicken or rooster?
View attachment 657470 View attachment 657471

Not Ameraucana, and not screaming cockerel. They're a little young, please post pics in a few more weeks. :)

And for future reference, a chicken is a bird of either gender. A hen is a mature female over a year old and a rooster is a mature male over a year old. Pullets/cockerels are female/male under a year old. Not a big deal. ;)

Ok, thanks! I purchased them at a hatchery where they advertised them as ameracauna. If not that, then what are they?

Not Ameraucana, and not screaming cockerel. They're a little young, please post pics in a few more weeks. :)

And for future reference, a chicken is a bird of either gender. A hen is a mature female over a year old and a rooster is a mature male over a year old. Pullets/cockerels are female/male under a year old. Not a big deal. ;)

Cochin 7weeks

Attachments

• IMG_7629.JPG
    IMG_7629.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 6
IMG_4850.JPG
IMG_4852.JPG
IMG_4855.JPG
IMG_4857.JPG
IMG_4858.JPG
IMG_4862.JPG
This is Lola, like the song, "walks like a woman talks like a man Lola"

Silver Laced Wyandotte, 14 weeks. I've only had her a few days so I'm not sure if "her" behavior is because she is a he or because she is new and they are establishing the pecking order.

I tried to get the relevant picks, but it was challenging.

Back
Top Bottom