Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Ok friends....one of my mutt chicks looks like a creature! What kind of chicken is this? Pretty sure he's a Lil roo.3 weeks old.

This little one is 2 weeks old and was sprouting tail pin feathers at 1 week...hoping female on this one...what do y'all think?

Wishing4Wings, they are five weeks old. I just wonder how accurate the sexing is from any given hatchery. I hear so many folks getting roos and then can't keep them.

Wishing4Wings, they are five weeks old. I just wonder how accurate the sexing is from any given hatchery. I hear so many folks getting roos and then can't keep them.
5 weeks still allows wiggle room for cockerel traits to develop, but yours do look like pullets at this point. Vent sexing that the hatcheries use is more of an art than a science, and requires a great deal of training. Most hatcheries claim a 90% accuracy rate, but how would you know if that's true? EEs seem to have more mistakes (according to the chicken guy at my feed store based on returns), maybe due to more variation in the "breed" or maybe the really good experienced sexing person retired.
idunno.gif
You can get autosexing breeds, where the sex can be determined by the color of the chick right after hatching. But even then, I have heard of a few mistakes. Poor roosters. I really like them, but the noise is hard to deal with. Especially at dark-thirty.

Ok friends....one of my mutt chicks looks like a creature! What kind of chicken is this? Pretty sure he's a Lil roo.3 weeks old.

This little one is 2 weeks old and was sprouting tail pin feathers at 1 week...hoping female on this one...what do y'all think?

Too young to be sure, but that first one sure looks like a cockerel.

Loki16, I am not very good with the dark colored combs, so I would just be guessing. Junebuggena will have a better idea. It is helpful to have a full standing side view in good light.

The 8 wk old EE on the bottom is probably a male.

5 weeks still allows wiggle room for cockerel traits to develop, but yours do look like pullets at this point. Vent sexing that the hatcheries use is more of an art than a science, and requires a great deal of training. Most hatcheries claim a 90% accuracy rate, but how would you know if that's true? EEs seem to have more mistakes (according to the chicken guy at my feed store based on returns), maybe due to more variation in the "breed" or maybe the really good experienced sexing person retired.
idunno.gif
You can get autosexing breeds, where the sex can be determined by the color of the chick right after hatching. But even then, I have heard of a few mistakes. Poor roosters. I really like them, but the noise is hard to deal with. Especially at dark-thirty.

Yeah, and the city of Arvada doesn't look kindly on roos in the city. Not that that keeps some people from keeping them, but we are really just looking for eggs. And chicken friendship.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom