Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

Is this light colored bird a rooster? They are 18 week red Sex links and my other hens are brown. 4/6 have started laying, this one is not and does not demonstrate crouching behavior. It's the first to run to the fence at my dog. Feet look the same size though this one isn't as plump. No crowing though I blame my husband for naming this one Chick Norris. Is this a rooster or just a lighter colored hen in the mix?

Is this light colored bird a rooster? They are 18 week red Sex links and my other hens are brown. 4/6 have started laying, this one is not and does not demonstrate crouching behavior. It's the first to run to the fence at my dog. Feet look the same size though this one isn't as plump. No crowing though I blame my husband for naming this one Chick Norris. Is this a rooster or just a lighter colored hen in the mix?
Nope. That's a pullet. Red sexlinks are crossbreeds, the exact shade of red and the amount of white can vary quite a bit.

10 weeks now EE roo over White Leghorn hen. Been crowing since 6 weeks 5 days. Starting to show proper feathering for a roo.

Same hatch EE roo over BR hen 1 big bright comb, upright tail but no real signs of hackle or saddle that I see.

The other EE roo over BR has smaller, paler comb with tail downswept and again no real signs of hackles or saddle.
I understand barring gene is only passed from female to male offspring but still holding out hope on the 2nd BR mix.

The other 2 appear to clearly be pullets, unsure of EE roo and hen could be Speckled Sussex, Red Sex Link, Buff or Brahma Orp or an already mixed breed hen. EE roo rules over a mixed flock.

Proud papa and some of his ladies.

10 weeks now EE roo over White Leghorn hen. Been crowing since 6 weeks 5 days. Starting to show proper feathering for a roo.

Same hatch EE roo over BR hen 1 big bright comb, upright tail but no real signs of hackle or saddle that I see.

The other EE roo over BR has smaller, paler comb with tail downswept and again no real signs of hackles or saddle.
I understand barring gene is only passed from female to male offspring but still holding out hope on the 2nd BR mix.

The other 2 appear to clearly be pullets, unsure of EE roo and hen could be Speckled Sussex, Red Sex Link, Buff or Brahma Orp or an already mixed breed hen. EE roo rules over a mixed flock.

Proud papa and some of his ladies.
The Leghorn cross and the barred chicks are males. Sorry, but the offspring of the barred hens can be sexed with 100% certainty. Barring = Male, every single time.

Hello! I decided to start another thread on helping all you back yard chicken farmers determine the sex of your chicken.
I know it can sometimes be super tricky to identify gender in chicks, so that's why we made this thread! No need to start your own thread, just hop on here and share a picture of your chick, making sure it's at least 4 weeks old before asking gender. Me and @Jetblack2004
are almost 100% on genders for chicks 4 weeks+. 
So feel free to ask lots of questions regarding gender. We do NOT identify breeds, only gender. However, if anyone out there is good at identifying breeds, please let us know, we would love to have your help!

Thanks!

-ftfarmer22

Hello! I decided to start another thread on helping all you back yard chicken farmers determine the sex of your chicken.

I know it can sometimes be super tricky to identify gender in chicks, so that's why we made this thread! No need to start your own thread, just hop on here and share a picture of your chick, making sure it's at least 4 weeks old before asking gender. Me and @Jetblack2004
are almost 100% on genders for chicks 4 weeks+. 
So feel free to ask lots of questions regarding gender. We do NOT identify breeds, only gender. However, if anyone out there is good at identifying breeds, please let us know, we would love to have your help!

Thanks!

-ftfarmer22

Chick #1

Chick #2

Both are 9 weeks old. Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom