Not sure of the gender - Amauracana

abaobao

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 27, 2013
Hello! So this is the first time my roommates and I have owned chickens. We have one Amauracana, I wanna say 3 months, maybe close to 4 (my roommate has their b-day marked somewhere, so I'll find out later). Wolfie, as we've named her, just looks a bit different from the other hens, mostly her tail. I know that different breeds look different, so hopefully that's all this is, but her tail feathers stick up and are longer than the other hens. I got a couple pictures of her today, here's the best one:

(She was much more interested in pecking around than taking a good photo, haha)

We'd really like her to be a her, because we got our chickens as egg layers, so we don't want any fertilization and all that.

Thanks for the help! :)

About 4 months---I still think those reds are boys, but I would have guessed a good month younger, and I have no idea why the combs are still so small. They just have that gawky, immature, rough look of young males--compare them to the smooth, rounded barred rock, she just looks more finished/polished at this age, they still look like they have a lot of finishing left to do. Looks like I can see hackle and saddle feathers coming in, and the patchy coloring is also male.

Keep us updated? I'd be interested to see when those red guys grow some combs.

Yes this is true.

Well, Wolfie started crowing today. Not well, but it was unmistakable. My roommate is not pleased, as that was her chicken :(

Color scream cockerel, but I can't see the head good. It looks a little red, but not as much as I would expect to see for the age.I say cockerel. And by the way, that isn't an ameraucana, it is an easter egger

Last edited:
The store told us the wrong breed then, lol Well poo...How old before they start crowing?

Back
Top Bottom