Not sure of the gender - Amauracana

I'm voting female. I know the red usually indicates male, but on this bird it appears to be over the entire body, not just the wing patches. The small comb, thin legs and lack of sex feathers all say female to me, also. I'm not positive, a better pic would help but still may not be able to say with confidence. I'd wait to make any decisions for another month or so, at least. If at any time it starts crowing, it's male. Otherwise if you could post a pic again in a month or two, I'd love to see how this bird turns out!

I hope you're right! We'll just keep watching her. I'll get another picture in about a month. I'll try to get a better one. I had just let them out into the yard, so they didn't really want to sit still, haha.

So it's been a month, almost exactly. And I got more pictures! I want some tips on one of the Reds too, because we have 2 and they're starting to get some differences. Ok, first with Wolfie (Ameraucana/Easter Egger)

Wolfie's comb seems to be more red than all the others. S/he was also having a stand off with my chicken Chai, which looked boyish, but Chai is a sex-linked and was behaving the same way....so that's not definitive haha. No one has yet crowed or layed eggs, so...

Here is the red in question:

S/he looks mildly different than our other red:

Mostly in size, but also the former chicken is getting some blue-ish feathers that the latter chicken isn't getting. Here's a not so great pic of them together (chicken in question is in the back):

These chickens are IC and Ingrit, though I've honestly lost track of which is which....I /want/ to say the smaller is Ingrit, but I just don't know haha.

And while I'm at it, here's Mumbly:

I'm still mildly sure this is a girl. Though she is a bully.

The only chicken not shown is Chai, cuz she is a girl haha

So what does everyone think?

Okay, I completely retract my earlier guess at female, Wolfie is definitely all boy!

How old are those reds? They both look kind of boyish to me, but the combs aren't as developed as I'd expect.

The barred rock is a female.

Yeeeaaaaa. I was thinking that about Wolfie :( Poop

The reds are actually older than Wolfie and Mumbly by a week. I think we got them all at the end of September, so they're about 4 months now

About 4 months---I still think those reds are boys, but I would have guessed a good month younger, and I have no idea why the combs are still so small. They just have that gawky, immature, rough look of young males--compare them to the smooth, rounded barred rock, she just looks more finished/polished at this age, they still look like they have a lot of finishing left to do. Looks like I can see hackle and saddle feathers coming in, and the patchy coloring is also male.

Keep us updated? I'd be interested to see when those red guys grow some combs.

I'll take more picture in a couple of weeks. I don't know what we're gonna do. They're such a tight knit group, I'd hate to separate them, but we got chickens just for eggs. Bah.

Back
Top Bottom