Not sure the breed...

bizzeeb60

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Frostproof, FL
Hey everyone, So I got these three new hens from the feed store nearby and they were already laying eggs. I'm sure they are probably a mix of something. here are a couple of pictures maybe someone can tell possible what they are????

blackie.jpg
Newchick2.jpg
NewChick_1.jpg
They all have Double combs on their heads and the white ones seem to have a litle bit of frizzle on the feathers ontop of their heads. The Black on has some bits of brown on her and the two white ones have very faint tan and gray on them. Both white ones are very very white, one of the pics looks a bit more beige but they are white. They are laying very light brown / off white eggs

Wow! I didn't even know that feed stores sold laying hens. How much did they cost, if you don't mind my asking? Which feed store? That white chicken in the middle is really pretty.

Quote:
It is just a little mom & pop feed store about ten miles from my house and every now and then they get in some hens. This time they had 5 hens and then quite a few chicks about a month old (those were RIR and Black Giants) but I haven't expanded the coop enough to be able to put the little ones in with the adults and have a separation between.

Anyhow they were $10 each, but that is about what most everyone charges around here if you want hen that have started laying, some charge even more. And since they were already laying it was worth it to me.

Quote:
Here are two pics of the Black one's Comb.
Hope this helps, since I have only had her for less than a week, she is still pretty skittish around me.
Blackiefaceshot.jpg

BlackieMar18.jpg

Oh and an aded note if it is any help. The black hen and the white one in the center(second photo) both have Gray color legs. The White hen on the right (third photo) has yellow legs.

Oh also, I am not sure that the white ones have double combs (one of them may) or they are just realy crooked! The black one does for sure.

Last edited:
Yes! Buttercup comb! She has buttercup in her! Oh, what a lovely breed! I wish I had pic for you but sadly I don't have any. Try going on feathersite or googling them. Lovely, lovely chickens!

She also looks alot like my Australorp (sp?) mix. I'm not kidding you, she looks just like that black one but replace that comb with a single comb, and you have my Roxy. Same eyes, body type, everything. I wish I had a picture. My camara is out of batteries.
barnie.gif

It looks like that white hen next to her has a bit of a started crest going on there. But not alot of one. I'm guessing that she had some Polish though most likely Silkie in her bloodline somewhere a few generations ago.

I can't help you with the third. They are lovely mixes, though! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom