Not sure what is going on

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
I've got a 3 month old frizzle polish cockerel. He seems active enough in the daytime (though I think I'll spend more time watching him closely now).

He has just started crowing, so now he is in the cockerel cohort that I have to put in my garage every night to keep the neighbours happy. So I've had the opportunity to check him over physically since I'm handling him more.

I've noticed his crop has been empty two nights in a row and he seems a bit thin. His eyes are a little bit gunky. He had a crest trim a week ago and I didn't notice any eye gunk then. He also kept falling asleep while I held him. Perhaps that was because I took him off the coop roost in the dark, I'm not sure.

No parasites I can see, and he has been treated a month ago. Could probably redo. His little wattles are red. Not sure about poop, I'll check in the morning.

He is low in the flock, being one of the last cohort of chicks. Raised and now weaned by one of my hens. I think he gets access to enough food even though some of my hens are quite bossy. There are several food stations around and they free range.

I've got some fucidin cream I could use for his eyes.

Any ideas on what might be wrong with him?

My gut reaction is that other birds are not allowing him to eat.
I wondered that. Watched them all today when the food bowls were empty and I refilled them. They all swarmed and squabbled a bit. He got his fair share. Went to bed tonight with a full crop although it was slightly doughy.

When I held him, he again lolled his head back, eyes closed as if asleep. It seems like an odd "play dead" action. He was wide awake as soon as I shifted my hold and he flapped and squawked. Some of my other polish (not all) do that "falling asleep while being cuddled" thing. I now wonder if it is narcolepsy rather than contentment!!

Back
Top Bottom