1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not sure what it is... Do chickens get flaky skin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pumpkinismygirl, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Pumpkinismygirl

Pumpkinismygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Just wondering... do chickens get flaky skin? My three girls who are about 4 and 1/2 months (they just started laying) have, well, what seem to be like big dandruff flakes, on their backs. Every time they ruffle their feathers and shake they get flakes on top of the shoulder/back... Is this normal? Is there something I should be doing different? Do they have mites of some kind? They all act normal, nothing else is unusual. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. tinaisodd

tinaisodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2012
    new jersey
    are you sure its not from their feathers? mine still have a little sheath over the part of the feather closest to the skin and when they groom it flakes off. I'm thinking that's what you see.

3. Pumpkinismygirl

Pumpkinismygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    I guess it could be... It just gets all over they're backs! And when I pet them (they're spoiled;) It gets on my hands. Its weird!

4. mikeumr

mikeumr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Did you learn any more about this? My young rooster has huge skin flakes particularly on his neck. Maybe its a normal condition at that age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by