Not Sure Where To Post This-- But I Need Silkie Experts Input!!!!!!

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
I have 2 silkies that I hatched out April 4th and I have never heard them crow so I am guessing they are girls, and I also have never seen them fly up to the roost with the other birds. Can silkies even fly?

THey may or may not be females, I have a silkie roo that is 6 months old that does not crow yet
tongue.png
He's a sweetie!

And they can hop up a couple of feet, but no flying!

Thanks for the reply! I had never seen nor had a silkie before I hatched them out. How do you tell if they are girls or boys?
I know nothing about silkies.

Our silkies never crow until after they're 6 mos old. This breed is one of the most difficult to sex. If they're hatchery stock then it can be a bit easier. If you post pics (or PM some to me) I can give ya a guess on them. Also, silkies are notorious for just laying on the coop floor at night instead of roosting on the rods. However, our 2 boys we got from MPC have always roosted on the rods, so go figure. The ones I've hatched from BYC'er eggs have never roosted - they prefer the coop floor. Goofy babies!

There is tons of info on silkies here. Just go to the search function at the top of the forum and type in silkies. You will get most if not all your questions answered without the wait. Good luck! They are SUPER fun!

Chef

the 2 I have I hatched from eggs from someone on BYC!
My camera batteries is dead right now so I can't get any
pictures.

1 of the silkies is real fluffy and solid black and has the big puffy
afro look on the head.

The other silkie looks like it could be a
cross with a blueish cochin because the seller had both.
The cross one has feathers alot like regular chickens do and
the saddle feathers all appeared rounded.
It also has more of a mohawk look on it's head then an afro look.
Does this make sence?

Last edited:
Quote:
I am doing ok! I haven't been online much lately, I found a long
lost cousin and we have been playing catch up with life!
My new chick order arrived yesturday too, I have been busy!
So how have you been?

Catching up is always loads of fun, that's for sure. Wow, mor chickies??!! I can't say nothing, we probably have 100!
tongue.png
I've been thinking that I need to do an acutal count, just out of curiosity. I've been absolutely swamped here at the law ofc, but that's okay - job security. We've started going to church, we go Sunday and Wed. Let me tell ya, it's tons of fun trying to keep a 2.5 yr old boy entertained while the preacher is talking!
roll.png
Now we're gearing up for school - it starts on the 25th and our 9yr old daughter is sorta ready for it to start - she'll be starting the 4th grade. Not much new other than that.

Back
Top Bottom