Note: flock block will attract large critters.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by off-grid hen, Dec 3, 2013.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I always knew that the flock block in the run attracted squirrels and chipmunks, but this morning I went out to refill the water in the run, and saw the biggest porcupine I have ever seen in my life. And I've seen a LOT of porcupines. He must have been in the run when I closed up last night. After I chased him out of the run with a very large snow shovel, I moved the flock block to the middle of the woods about half a mile from my house. "Spike" is now happily back up an oak tree a few hundred yards away from the chicken run. We'll see if he returns. If he does, I will have to resort to more drastic measures.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Glad you found him in daylight. Trying to imagine accidentally tripping over one of those in the dark, bet it would teach you to take a flashlight along. Neat animals but adding them to the list of "Am I glad we don't find Those in the chicken coop around here".

3. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I carry a flashlight at night anyway, bc of porcupines. We have a lot of oak trees, and they love to munch acorns. One night I opened the door to go outside and there was huge porcy on the step under the door, munching away on acorns. Now I always look before I leap, as it were. Every time I open the door. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by