Note: flock block will attract large critters.

off-grid hen

Songster
Mar 1, 2011
Upstate NY
I always knew that the flock block in the run attracted squirrels and chipmunks, but this morning I went out to refill the water in the run, and saw the biggest porcupine I have ever seen in my life. And I've seen a LOT of porcupines. He must have been in the run when I closed up last night. After I chased him out of the run with a very large snow shovel, I moved the flock block to the middle of the woods about half a mile from my house. "Spike" is now happily back up an oak tree a few hundred yards away from the chicken run. We'll see if he returns. If he does, I will have to resort to more drastic measures.

Last edited:
Glad you found him in daylight. Trying to imagine accidentally tripping over one of those in the dark, bet it would teach you to take a flashlight along. Neat animals but adding them to the list of "Am I glad we don't find Those in the chicken coop around here".

I carry a flashlight at night anyway, bc of porcupines. We have a lot of oak trees, and they love to munch acorns. One night I opened the door to go outside and there was huge porcy on the step under the door, munching away on acorns. Now I always look before I leap, as it were. Every time I open the door. :D

Back
Top Bottom