Noticed hens breathing with open mouths, recently added ....

đź‘Ť Exactly what I was thinking.

@KCsquare, as long as you see no other symptoms or distress in the birds, I would not recommend starting any medication at this time. Make sure your birds have cover for shade and I always put out an extra rubber pan full of water when it gets hot outside. Would also recommend you update your profile with a geographic location as it does help members fine tune their advice on some topics.
Ok, thanks. I see no other symptoms. They've been stealing the chicks water from inside the cage haha, but I can start to give them extra in the run on hot days. Thanks for the tip.

I couldn't find where to add my location to my profile, but I edited this post with it:
located in HudsonValley area of NY. that's USDA Planting zone 6a

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I see no other symptoms. They've been stealing the chicks water from inside the cage haha, but I can start to give them extra I the run on hot days. Thanks for the tip.

I couldn't find where to add my location to my profile, but I edited this post with it:
located in HudsonValley area of NY. that's USDA Planting zone 6a

If you click on your account name in the top title bar, there is an option to select "account details" in the dropdown box. If you scroll down the account details box, there is an input field to add your location. Easy as that and it helps members fine tune their advice to help you.

Stress could cause this behavior also. How were they acting when you were working on the run?
They love to free range so I've assumed they've been happy, but some of them are pretty aggressive towards the chicks. There was some odd running around, bursts of flightiness, and squalking that I'd never noticed before when they used to free range more. ..

I stopped letting them free range because of a predator incident, hence the importance of the larger run.

Edit: located in HudsonValley area of NY. that's USDA Planting zone 6a.

Hi,
I have 5 hens 2-3 years old. Tonight I noticed 3 of them breathing with their mouths open. It looks unusual, I've never noticed them doing that before.

Here's what's been going on around here in case it helps.

1) About 8 weeks ago I got 7 baby chicks . Over the last week they've been spending time with the laying hens. At first i just had the chicks cage in the hens run, but last 2 days the chicks have been able, at their own risk, to roam in the run.

2) in preparation of the bigger flock I made the run bigger. While tearing down the old run and installing the new one the hens were able to free range. This occurred 4 or 5 times in the last week or so. My yard is surrounded by woods and around the perimeter a lot of leaves from the fall. The chickens do love to rummage through the leaves.

3) Obviously the weather is getting warmer too and we have had some days get close to 90, but it hasn't been unbearingly hot. Also, the run is in the shade. I can't imagine it's heatstroke

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
I just noticed this this evening. Is it possible it's an anomaly that'll go away on its own? If it even is something ... their breathing didn't seem labored. They're not wheezing ir coughing ...

Welcome your thoughts. Thanks!
They’re hot like the rest of us!🤣
I usually don’t have a problem with hot chickens, but this year’s got us all huntin’ for shade. I hooked up the plant mister to the closest spigot and cooled their run down by spraying first the ground, then the airspace inside the run, then I just let it spray that ultralight mist down into the air for a while.
It was like watchin’ the greatgrands in the sprinkler. They were real happy. Hope I didn’t mess up🤣

Back
Top Bottom