Noticed hens breathing with open mouths, recently added ....

KCsquare

Chirping
Sep 12, 2018
Hudson Valley in NY State
Edit: located in HudsonValley area of NY. that's USDA Planting zone 6a.

Hi,
I have 5 hens 2-3 years old. Tonight I noticed 3 of them breathing with their mouths open. It looks unusual, I've never noticed them doing that before.

Here's what's been going on around here in case it helps.

1) About 8 weeks ago I got 7 baby chicks . Over the last week they've been spending time with the laying hens. At first i just had the chicks cage in the hens run, but last 2 days the chicks have been able, at their own risk, to roam in the run.

2) in preparation of the bigger flock I made the run bigger. While tearing down the old run and installing the new one the hens were able to free range. This occurred 4 or 5 times in the last week or so. My yard is surrounded by woods and around the perimeter a lot of leaves from the fall. The chickens do love to rummage through the leaves.

3) Obviously the weather is getting warmer too and we have had some days get close to 90, but it hasn't been unbearingly hot. Also, the run is in the shade. I can't imagine it's heatstroke

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
I just noticed this this evening. Is it possible it's an anomaly that'll go away on its own? If it even is something ... their breathing didn't seem labored. They're not wheezing ir coughing ...

Welcome your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chickens don’t sweat. They breathe with their mouths open and they will also hold their wings away from the body to cool down.

👍 Exactly what I was thinking.

@KCsquare, as long as you see no other symptoms or distress in the birds, I would not recommend starting any medication at this time. Make sure your birds have cover for shade and I always put out an extra rubber pan full of water when it gets hot outside. Would also recommend you update your profile with a geographic location as it does help members fine tune their advice on some topics.

i assumed someone who had chickens for 3 years would have seen hot chickens before

I considered that too, but I can tell you that in the 2+ years I have owned laying hens, this is by far the hottest stretch of weather I have seen with my chickens where I live. Large parts of the USA are seeing record highs. That is why I thought adding the geographic location to the profile of the OP would be helpful.

never any harm in waiting a day or two to really diagnose!

I agree.

Chickens don’t sweat. They breathe with their mouths open and they will also hold their wings away from the body to cool down.
Certainly possible I'm noticing something now that's always been as I watch the more acutely. It struck me as unusual and I've been worrying a but about the stress I've introduced by adding chicks.
Today was hot, maybe 85-90. The time I noticed it was 7pm and had to be 70-75. Not that hot and they are in a shady area. While working on the run it was remarkable how much cooler it was by the run, under the shade of the trees.
I'll keep an eye on em for this behavior , thanks

I considered that too, but I can tell you that in the 2+ years I have owned laying hens, this is by far the hottest stretch of weather I have seen with my chickens where I live. Large parts of the USA are seeing record highs. That is why I thought adding the geographic location to the profile of the OP would be helpful.

I agree.
I didn't see where to add location to my profile. Edited post to add it:
located in HudsonValley area of NY. that's USDA Planting zone 6a

Certainly possible I'm noticing something now that's always been as I watch the more acutely. It struck me as unusual and I've been worrying a but about the stress I've introduced by adding chicks.
Today was hot, maybe 85-90. The time I noticed it was 7pm and had to be 70-75. Not that hot and they are in a shady area. While working on the run it was remarkable how much cooler it was by the run, under the shade of the trees.
I'll keep an eye on em for this behavior , thanks
Stress could cause this behavior also. How were they acting when you were working on the run?

Back
Top Bottom