Nova Scotia: articles and viewpoints

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by LynneP, Jul 19, 2008.

1. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Because of Canada's tiered levels of government, federal and provincial laws may override municipal ones.

Nevertheless, even when a municipality allows poultry, there may be restrictions. I hope we can add articles and opinions to this thread, because chickens have been in the news here lately and will continue to be an issue for us.

The most famous case is the Louise Hanavan chickens in Halifax Regional Municipality. She lost the birds but was able to rehome the RIR's at a heritage farm in nearby Dartmouth.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/01/23/chickens-halifax.html

2. LynneP

Now we have Glenn Covey in Margaree. He can continue selling meat now but may find himself unable to continue next year because of the structural changes needed to enclose his chickens, which are now free-ranging.

This is a case of federal law filtering down to the municipal level.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1067848.html

3. LynneP

4. LynneP

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. LynneP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  6. LynneP

7. LynneP

8. LynneP

9. La Banan

La Banan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Quote:Hi All! This petition is closed to new petitioners for some reason I can't quite figure out yet.

10. LynneP

Me either, Jan and as of today I can't get to the link either, so I've put an update in the post above. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by