November 2016 Hatch-a-long!!

Pics
Hey
1f44b-1f3fc.png
Y'all I just want to say that I did a 70 egg chicken hatch and 3 duck egg on October 25 then did another 65 egg hatch November 23 the day before t-giving
1f423.png
. I usually do a hatch once a month all year, my incubator can hold 84 eggs and my hatch rate runs between 78-84%. So the ones that just hatched on the 23rd are already outside. Here is a pic of my little darlings. If anyone has a ? Then please email me [email protected] Have a Good Day!!! To all ..... on the last pic you can see the duckies in the background

I had ordered Crested Cream Legbar eggs from Ebay and was looking forward to the hatch, but had a complete fail on all 7 seven eggs that I recieved. Eggs were delivered 3 days late. Anyone in DM IA have any Cream Barsandwich chickens?

Lock-down has commenced! Quickly candled them and I think all looked good. Did not want to spend a lot of time looking as I wanted to get them back into the bator. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that come Wednesday, I will have some babies!

Any idea when I might see the eggs rocking at all?

The Ups & Downs of Quail:
These little guys are similar to chickens, but still I'm learning more each day.
I've hatched hundreds of chickens (literally) Between DD's projects & my embryology classes we hatched over 140 chicks in 2016 alone! However, this was our 1st attempt with quail. They are tiny, fast, & have no common sense. They are of course so adorable & make our younger chicks look like Godzilla. They are messy eating & pooping machines. They have a quiet peep that is higher pitched. They will make loud crying noises if they want attention. They really want attention....

So on a sad note, one thing I learned about was something called "failure to thrive." One can see that quail grow fast when we look at a newly hatched quail standing next to one that has been out for 24 hrs. What I noticed yesterday was that 2 quail still looked like day-olds, while the rest looked like 4 day olds. The small ones were eating & drinking - just not with the same vigor as the others. I gave them some alone time with wet food & water + electrolytes. One died last night. The other is seen below with 2 siblings. There is a chance that it is a smaller breed- like a button quail - but I fear that its chances are not high.

Can you believe this quail was about as big as a quarter 4 days ago?

Like baby chickens, quail will pile up & sleep in all kinds of crazy positions.

Chicken update:
All are doing well. These little ones are so quiet, relaxed, & content. They are not needy & never peck at each other. Such a pleasure.

We have 4 black chicks. (One is a cuckoo orp)

We have 1 choc cuckoo orp

4 lavender orps (One was an assisted hatch & was over 2.5 days late! It's perfectly fine now.)

3 Silkie/EE(roo) x Wyandotte(hen) mixes.

Two have very clear chipmunk stripes, the other does not have the side stripes. (Could that be related to gender?)

All 3 are cute! One on left (below) has the biggest crest-like face.

One chick has 5 toes. (None have black skin)

Back
Top Bottom