November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

Since I have a bit of space where my turner tray normally slide to (manually turnign at the moment) I added a large jar of water (with a lid on it) to help maintain temps and also bring them back to normal after I have had the lid open.

Seems to be working as a great heat sink without messing with the humidity.

Hello to laboring hatchers!  This will be awesome to see your posts at the same time I post my baby pics.  :celebrate

My bench warmers have been sitting for 8 or 9 days (not sure which day they were collected.)  I've heard you could get them to hatch up to 10 days so I put them in the incubator.  We shall see in 4 days.  It really won't hurt my feelings if they don't because I already have 20 in the brooder.  If all the eggs in the incubator hatch, I'll have 41, 29 of which will be mine.  49 little ones will be rather interesting, but I'm kinda hoping that 1/2 of what I have turn out to be roos as they will be dinners for the spring.

Never underestimate an egg lol I collected 11 duck eggs and 4 chicken eggs during my week at the county fair. I placed them in a cooler (nothing else in it and no ice). I figured they were going to be thrown away because I didn't even have an incubator yet! I brought the cooler home and ended up forgetting to throw them out.

A week after fair I got an incubator and went ahead and set the eggs figuring it wouldn't hurt to try. They were between 8-15 days old when set in the bator (never been turned either). 21 days later I had 3 chicks and 28 days later I had 9 ducks! I was one extremely happy first timer lol

Last night I candled my three eggs and they were looking good, except for one that I couldnt really see much in bc of a speckled/dark shell. Today, I go out there to check on momma, and one egg was broken
hu.gif
I am pretty confident it was the shell I was unsure of if anything was inside, just from a quick glance. I have not gone out and cleaned up the mess yet, thats my next step.

But any ideas on how this could have happened? I let my birds out a little late- maybe the others were irritated and broke it? Did she do it? Could it have exploded under her (Ive seen others talk about that..) Why do they even explode in the first place??

Last night I candled my three eggs and they were looking good, except for one that I couldnt really see much in bc of a speckled/dark shell. Today, I go out there to check on momma, and one egg was broken
hu.gif
I am pretty confident it was the shell I was unsure of if anything was inside, just from a quick glance. I have not gone out and cleaned up the mess yet, thats my next step.

But any ideas on how this could have happened? I let my birds out a little late- maybe the others were irritated and broke it? Did she do it? Could it have exploded under her (Ive seen others talk about that..) Why do they even explode in the first place??
And Im also reading that the other eggs could be in danger if they are heavily soiled? What has been your experience with this?

Quote:
well if it exploded it would be because it was rotten. if it got broken it could be because one of the other hens got in the nest with her and stepped on it...my guinea hens do that...if they got pretty dirty don't rub them use your finger nail to try and chip of any debris change the bedding so you don't get maggots! good luck

Never underestimate an egg lol I collected 11 duck eggs and 4 chicken eggs during my week at the county fair. I placed them in a cooler (nothing else in it and no ice). I figured they were going to be thrown away because I didn't even have an incubator yet! I brought the cooler home and ended up forgetting to throw them out.

A week after fair I got an incubator and went ahead and set the eggs figuring it wouldn't hurt to try. They were between 8-15 days old when set in the bator (never been turned either). 21 days later I had 3 chicks and 28 days later I had 9 ducks! I was one extremely happy first timer lol

Thanks awesome...

ep.gif

My first ever batch of hatching eggs should be hatching out in 2-4 days (can't recall which day I put them in on) under my broody Black Australorp! All B&C Maran eggs! So exciting!

Hey all I would like to join, but my eggs are going to be hatching at the end of October! I just put them in yesterday!! I have 17 Black Copper Maran eggs and 14 Heritage RIR eggs. Its been a while for me hatching and I am nervous. Years ago I used to hatch all the time, but this is my first hatch since then. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed!
fl.gif

Hope you all attach some pictures when yours start hatching! I am excited to see!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom