November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I just candled my eggs (Day 7.) All the eggs were laid either 8 or 9 days ago, so I'm pretty confident if they were to develop, I should have seen something by now. Had 3 BO/RIR over BO or RIR hens that were no good, 2 clears, and a blood ring with no visible veins. One of my Splash Marans was clear. 3 Silkie eggs were no good, all were clear.

I had extras I could hatch and candled them to mark the air cells before I put them in. 3 eggs actually had veins. They've been out on my counter in the kitchen, but no additional heat. Do you think they are safe to incubate at this time or should I skip them?

All right, just candled again, and now I could see veins and interesting shapes forming on all 4 of the blue eggs! (2 CL and 2 EE). But, even with a new light setup, I still couldn't tell what I was looking at on the Marans. I think I saw blobs and air sacs on them, but I just couldn't tell what was there.
So, I'm going to try to be patient and just let my girls do their thing and see what we have in 16 days!

Y'all should see my other two, non-broody hens, snuggled up on the roost like it's just them against the world! First they suddenly lost their flock-leader Stella, and now their other two flock-mates are sitting in the nest, 24/7. They are still soldiering on, though! A big brahma, and a skinny bantam andalusian - as funny a pair as there has ever been.

ya.gif

I just candled my eggs (Day 7.) All the eggs were laid either 8 or 9 days ago, so I'm pretty confident if they were to develop, I should have seen something by now. Had 3 BO/RIR over BO or RIR hens that were no good, 2 clears, and a blood ring with no visible veins. One of my Splash Marans was clear. 3 Silkie eggs were no good, all were clear.

I had extras I could hatch and candled them to mark the air cells before I put them in. 3 eggs actually had veins. They've been out on my counter in the kitchen, but no additional heat. Do you think they are safe to incubate at this time or should I skip them?

Sorry to hear about the first bunch...

How long have they been on the bench???

I have heard the developing zygote can lay dormant for quite some time...

I suppose there is no harm in trying

Lavender Orpingtons, Splash Orpingtons, Blue Orpington over splash Marans, Silkies, BO/RIR roo over RIR and BO hens, and 2 Splash Marans are already 1 week into their incubation. Going to candle them in just a moment to see how they're doing. Hopefully no losses thus far.

October 12 is going to be terrific! 3 week olds and newborns. YEAH!

We are on the same schedule.
jumpy.gif

7 chicks in the brooder and hopefully 5 new ones on the 12th!

Hello to laboring hatchers! This will be awesome to see your posts at the same time I post my baby pics.
celebrate.gif

My bench warmers have been sitting for 8 or 9 days (not sure which day they were collected.) I've heard you could get them to hatch up to 10 days so I put them in the incubator. We shall see in 4 days. It really won't hurt my feelings if they don't because I already have 20 in the brooder. If all the eggs in the incubator hatch, I'll have 41, 29 of which will be mine. 49 little ones will be rather interesting, but I'm kinda hoping that 1/2 of what I have turn out to be roos as they will be dinners for the spring.

Hello to laboring hatchers! This will be awesome to see your posts at the same time I post my baby pics.
celebrate.gif

My bench warmers have been sitting for 8 or 9 days (not sure which day they were collected.) I've heard you could get them to hatch up to 10 days so I put them in the incubator. We shall see in 4 days. It really won't hurt my feelings if they don't because I already have 20 in the brooder. If all the eggs in the incubator hatch, I'll have 41, 29 of which will be mine. 49 little ones will be rather interesting, but I'm kinda hoping that 1/2 of what I have turn out to be roos as they will be dinners for the spring.

pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom