November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

and your positive of your temp and humidity?
it is the same day of the week...but that varies! if it's wobbling its alive....maybe you'll wake up to a chicklet in the morning
Yep! Very consistent with temps and humidity throughout. I'm hoping you are right! A chick or two in the morning would make my Monday a LOT Better!!!

Ooo is it too late to join in ? I have 24 japanese quail eggs in the incubator, first attempt, due in 14 days . Really Interesting reading through this thread. So much advice :D love it

If it's not too late to join, I just set 24 eggs last night. All were shipped, so I'm crossing my fingers! I've got 15 marans eggs that looked great on the Day 1 candle and from another shipment I've got 9 blue-laced red wyandottes. The wyandotte eggs didn't fare so well in the mail and two were broken. I set the remaining 9 but 3 of those have detached air cells. I'm managing the ones with detached cells....hopefully I can help the little buggers out. I'm assuming the whole box got pretty scrambled if I had so many issues immediately apparent, but I'm still hoping that we manage to get a few healthy chicks. I'm using a Hovabator 1602n and turning manually.

Hi ellieemae, I just set eggs too! I'm using a broody and an incubator at the same time, mostly shipped eggs, but also a few Silkie x ??? eggs that my girl laid. The silkieX eggs are 7 days ahead of the shipped eggs too, just to make it interesting. My broody has raised a clutch before, but this is my first hatch and first time incubating.

I have been having trouble getting the humidity back down to a reasonable level. I had a huge spike (70%!!) on day 2 and don't know how bad that is. I was seeing condensation in one of the windows, so the surface area of water was increased. I removed water from one of the chambers (which was previously calibrated perfectly...), to no change. Later I found a droplet of water in the bottom right corner of the incubator. Maybe a spill? I removed water from another chamber, and most of it from the largest chamber. It's still 65%?!?! Why is this so difficult to control? Did adding eggs increase the humidity? How serious is this? (using 3 thermometers btw, they are also calibrated to each other)

edit: \/\/\/\/
our winters here are mild, but I plan to keep them indoors until they're feathered and then let them outside :)

Last edited:
I try not to hatch in the fall because then I have chicks over winter and they have to be brought in because of the cold. Some of us have allergies so it doesn't go to well. But good luck to all of you that do hatch in the fall and winter!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom