November Hatch-a-long...

Pics
D3B61D57-2177-47E6-A641-C1D77932BEDF.jpeg

Light Brown Dutch Bantams

Six Silkie eggs looking great and in lockdown tonight!

I am having a debate with myself though - one is the egg I dropped and patched with electrical tape. The crack/patch covers a portion of the air sack (and presumably unzipping) line - should I preemptively remove a portion of the patch, or should I just wait and see?

Six Silkie eggs looking great and in lockdown tonight!

I am having a debate with myself though - one is the egg I dropped and patched with electrical tape. The crack/patch covers a portion of the air sack (and presumably unzipping) line - should I preemptively remove a portion of the patch, or should I just wait and see?
Is it in prime pipping spot? If not, I’d leave it alone. I waxed half of the air cell area on the first pipped egg in my hatch. It hasn’t caused any problems. I’d just keep an eye on it.

The wax patched egg has hatched! Looking Inside the shell I can see the air cell was small, probably because of the crack/patch job. The chick hatches a little earlier than it should have. It was touch and go overnight. It is doing well now, although still isn’t opening its eyes much. I think it will be fine. It’s quite active and vocal.

B10AA1CD-79E9-47BC-8B35-F99A3D876C7B.jpeg

Last edited:
My final hatch stats.

• 8 Paint Silkie Eggs (shipped)
  • 3 Developed
  • 1 DIS after lockdown/right before pip
  • 2 Chicks Hatched
The DIS was a black split. It had almost absorbed all the yolk sac, but the sac had grown around its leg.:(

The patched shell hatched, and it is a paint. The chick is small, and it has had some struggles. It hatched earlier than it should have. It’s on the upswing.

The last chick is a paint as well. It is doing great. Fluffy and normal size.

They actually have a few more spots now than in these fresh out of the incubator pics.

82F1616E-82BA-4650-9565-FBA3710F83EC.jpeg

3E47B437-EF4F-4A0E-9ECE-F2679A169F06.jpeg

An update on my hatch:

6 Silkie eggs out of 12 purchased, developed and made it to lock-down (other 6 were not fertile).

Had a power outage at day 14, was able to move incubator to a friend's house until my power was restored, but suspect power fluctuations affected the chicks as I have two with splayed legs.

4 hatched, 1 DIS suspected at lockdown but gave it a chance anyway, and 1 started to pip but did not make it, looked like the membrane shrink-wrapped while I was at work.

2 Cuckoo, 1 lavender/splash, 1 possible partridge or crele.

My tape-patched egg did hatch (possible crele), but the chick is small, has curled toes on both feet, and a splayed leg. Treating splayed leg first as the toes are uncurling decently on their own and from my manually opening them, as well as giving a few drops of vitamin water. Chick may be small, but if the volume of it's indignant peeps from my messing with taping the legs are any indication, looks to be pretty strong. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
My final hatch stats.

• 8 Paint Silkie Eggs (shipped)
  • 3 Developed
  • 1 DIS after lockdown/right before pip
  • 2 Chicks Hatched
The DIS was a black split. It had almost absorbed all the yolk sac, but the sac had grown around its leg.:(

The patched shell hatched, and it is a paint. The chick is small, and it has had some struggles. It hatched earlier than it should have. It’s on the upswing.

The last chick is a paint as well. It is doing great. Fluffy and normal size.

They actually have a few more spots now than in these fresh out of the incubator pics.

View attachment 1972184

View attachment 1972185
They are so cute

Back
Top Bottom