November Hatch-a-long...

Pics
You are right, mine love styrofoam, they are a whole lot yesterday but still ok today, apparently didn't hurt them. I searched and we do not have rice husk in our country for sale in large quantities. I may need to go to a rice factory... I definitely need some insulation from the cement as the temperature drops close to 5C in the barn where the brooder boxes are now.

my friend in Greece ,uses dry pine needles. she said they work well too .

chooks man

IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG

I counted 9 chicks but its getting hard to find them in every corner of the incubator with my 2 tiny peek windows.

Precisely. (But I candle a LOT) lmao

I candle twice a day, mark air sacks every fourth day, and keep notes.... for science! Lololol!

On the bright side, my false alarm pipping egg of a few days ago is no longer a false alarm! IMG_20191107_083656_762.jpg

As soon as this one is dry and in the brooder I have two more going into lockdown, and then 9 days left on my clutch of 11 (plus a dozen more going in this weekend).

I'm a bit fatootsed that I've not been able to get my shiny new lockdown incubator (farm innovator 2150) to barely kiss at 70% humidity, and that's with every single hole plugged, a solid inch of warm water in the bottom, AND the seam taped shut...

Wont they suffocate without air circulation?

I should have clarified that the seam is not taped with the egg in there - I tried it when I was experimenting with getting the humidity up over the past few days before putting the egg on lockdown.

I think I'm going to have to pony-up and purchase another Nurture Right for these late year hatches - in the summer I'm more concerned that the humidity is too high for the first 18 days!

Going to open the incubator in about an hour, if I remember I will take a picture of them all in the Incubator. Most of these chicks will be given away since I recently discovered that this spring/Summer is the best time to get my house on the market. And I abruptly went for adding chickens to needing to get rid of all by a select few.

Back
Top Bottom