now i've got another problem

Out of my 6 cats, only one would even look at the chickens as a meal. He is my little hunter but has never even offered to attack a chicken. I even recall once having chicks out of the pen running around the yard. I myself think it odd that he wouldn't, but than none of my cats seem to like raw chicken either. He much prefers wild rabbit.....and first he eats the innards....and always leaves the heads, once in the corner of my living room. (little scoundrel!)
hmm.png
Yuck.

The problem is not a cat. The problem is your coop. If you make it cat proof, it will also be dog, coon, possum, chicken hawk proof. That is the answer to almost every problem on the forum. You can set up traps in the meanwhile, but if you want to fix a problem, look at the coop and decide how much more chickenwire you need and go for it. I learned the hard way. I gave enough chickens away to preditors. A good coop is the answer. The only chickens that are missing from my flock since April, are the ones I personally killed.

I had a cat for 10 years that was part Siamese, so very wiry.... not that big. This cat could, and would, kill anything. He brought home rabbits, squirrels, weasels, chipmunks, partridges and even a piliated woodpecker!! Please don't think that a cat, especially a hungry one, can't or wouldn't kill a chicken....they most certainly would.

Having said that I think you should keep the cat. It sounds like it IS used to people and that it would make a good pet. If you can't manager another pet right now, or if you're too afraid of him hurting your chickens again, the animal shelter idea is a good one.

I had an experience with a feral cat that would reach through the wire and grab quail and eat them. I set a small foothold trap near the corner where most of the killing was occuring. (at the time I wasn't sure what was killing the quail) Anyhow, I caught the cat in short order. True feral cats hate to be restrained. This cat was doing backflips trying to get away from me. I let it wear itself out, scolded it and then let it go. I'd still see it around from time to time.. but it never went near that quail run again.

The cat you caught sounds like a wayward pet. Let it go. I doubt you have your chicken killer.

we let her go this morning, the chickens are locked up for the winter anyway, so she won't be a problem, even if she is the chicken killer. it was so funny, when i released her, she just meowed and meowed and she kept coming halfway back to us and then turning around and walking away, and then coming back. i brought my other silkie over by her when she was still in the trap, she didn't even seem to care about him. plus, he was practically bigger than her. i hope that she doesn't get hit on the highway, i wouldn't mind having a cat around
smile.png

Quote:
Heheheh.. not only is it illegal it is inhumane. If you have a nuisance animal you call animal control or humane society. Unless that animal is threatening your safety or that of a loved one. So if you must kill a cat you have to say the following before firing the weapon "it's coming right for us!".. then shoot and you are covered under the law.

You really ought to check the laws where you are.

In some states it is legal to use deadly force to protect your animals from attack by another persons domestic animals.

Cat's don't kill like that, actually. She would probably help with any rodents at your place. Be sure to put up some notices on community bulletin boards for the owners but at this time of year we see a lot of drop-offs at our farm- poor baby was probably abandoned.

Last edited:
i dont know where most of you are from but a house cat is one of the wrost predators out there just short in my mind of the racoon and coatye i heard a bad noies cooming from the barn 3 weeks ago ran up there and found a cat had one of my 9 week old cukamaran by the head and pulling for all it was wrouth traying to pull it trough 1 inch wire i do keep a gun at the barn so it was put down this was a fearil cat i had never seen before but i think my bitty is going to be ok with a little t l c feathers and some skine missing and i do have a cat at the barn and she will not bother them a vary good rater
this is not the frist one that has botherd my brids and i will dispose of all that do and that is a promise i own 4 horses 3 cows 10 beagles 52 hens and all of them are behind a fence so if yours bothers mine there will be troulble.

I have 2 mini. dachshunds and a mixed breed med. sized dog and I would never let them be alone in the yrd with the chickens especially the banties. It would only take a few seconds and your heart would be broken. It's not worth it

Back
Top Bottom