now i've got another problem

I've yet to see the harrassment ppl speak of. mine will be a year old in february. Granted they get a little 3 second action now and then, but have all their feathers and look very nice. I think my girls love their fellas. And I love my roos too. They provide more benefits to my hens than harrassment. IMO, even though i never planned on having roos, let alone keeping them, roos are the best part of having chickens. Even better than eggs. :) such handsome handsome creatures. I love watching them. They are truly gentlemen, treating their ladies to the best treats, watching over them and protecting them.

I keep the roos and hens away from my cat out of fear they will kill the cat, not the other way around. a 5 pound tiny cat verses a flock of orps wouldnt turn out well.

Most birds are 90%+ instinct hard wired- the sound of a bell lets them hear a pretty bell before they die-

However I am a cat person and we don't have cat problems here ACAC and the Bear Foundation take care of that.

Our two cats hang out with our chickens all the time. They even go into the hen house to catch the mice in there. They haven't hurt a chicken yet. One evening, without our knowing, the hen house door was closed with all the chickens outside. When we went out after dark to shut them in, they were all huddled together outside, scared in the dark. The cat was sitting nearby, keeping an eye on them. If she had wanted a chicken dinner, she could have easily had it at that point.

She doesn't hurt the babies or the hens. And she catches mice and rats daily. I don't consider the cats a threat to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom