NPIP Certification - Refreshment Please?

ColtHandorf

🙄🤚 Sass Master
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
Klondike, Texas
I was NPIP certified back when I was like 14-15 years old and I am now 30 and don't remember a thing about it other than the guy coming out drawing blood from one rooster and one hen from each breeding pen and making sure to get all my breeds listed and giving me a certificate.

Can someone please point me in the right direction for getting my new flock certified? I know you can lose your certification if you bring in birds that are not certified. Do you have to request them come out and test the new birds or do you just do that when they come out and renew it the next year?

Anyway, I'm located in Texas. If you need any other pertinent information just ask. :)

:frow First you will need to call a PT tester and have them come out and test your flock.
This may take a while because there has been a shortage on the antigen for testing.
All of our testers are listed here:
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/testing-information/poultry/authorized-testing-agents-roster/

Next or while you are waiting for the testing email or call this guy, he will send you the NPIP packet with pricing info.
If I am not mistaken it is $100.00 per year.
Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 7.07.42 PM.png

Also wanted to point out that what the state (TAHC) requires is different than NPIP. The NPIP info and TAHC info above are both great places to start if you're planning to sell birds, if you just want to keep a certified clean flock, all you need is NPIP.

I had a devil of a time finding information on the HOW to get NPIP certification. I could find a ton of online information about how the tests were done, why they were important, what the history was, etc. but nothing on who to call or how to actually get the tests done.

Obviously, it's different in each state. (I'm in Mississippi) I finally had a vet tech at my mother's cats' vet give me a phone number. He wasn't the guy to call, but he DID give me the right number to call to set it up.

In Mississippi, they collect names and phone numbers all month, then distribute them at the first of the month to the correct inspector, who then will call and set up the appointment. The tech told me that there was no charge, but I have not verified that with the state livestock board yet. (They are due to call me the first of April.)

For anyone in Mississippi who wants to get certified, call 601 359 1170 to get on the list. As for who to call in Texas, it sounds like you've got it under control already.

So I just realized that there are not any authorized PT Testing Agents in the county that I live. I do not want to be a testing agent and have no desire to attend a training session and become certified. I'm literally minutes away from a county line that does have three certified testers. Are they able to test in an adjacent county @Texas Kiki? If not, I'm not sure how to get them PT tested...

So I just realized that there are not any authorized PT Testing Agents in the county that I live. I do not want to be a testing agent and have no desire to attend a training session and become certified. I'm literally minutes away from a county line that does have three certified testers. Are they able to test in an adjacent county @Texas Kiki? If not, I'm not sure how to get them PT tested...
Yes...us testers can test any where in the state we want.

The problem with getting tested right now though, is the antigen is hard to get a hold of for us testers.

I knew that about the antigen. So you are a tester? What is the average cost for testing and do you test all the birds? Or do you do a sampling? I know 15+ years ago the man that came out and did my NPIP testing and certification checked the rooster and one hen from each breeding pen.

Back
Top Bottom