NPIP Participants & Breeders List

They are coming out today to test my birds! I hope it goes well
fl.gif

I got certified in December and had the paperwork within 2 weeks. I don't have my number on me at the moment, though.

I've got LOTS of chicks for sale right now. A fellow NPIP BYCer and I provided chicks to a local feed store and have several left.

I got mine tested on April 22,10 and had my paper work 1 week to the day. Testing is free in Wv. They really go over everything with you and if you have a ? they can not answer onsite then they get back to you with ASAP. More people should get it done just to be on the safe side and know your flock is healthy 100%.
All the breeds I will have ready by next year are listed below.

Quote:
You are so lucky that it is free. In Indiana we have to pay $80. I think that is a little high, but I am going to have my flock tested very soon. I just wish I didn't have to pay that much. I have to sell a lot of eggs to make that back.

If you want to sell eggs for eating in large amounts they get you then. There is one or 2 things you can get done that cost you. I was very happy to find out it was free. They will even have testers onsite for swaps. The one in April had 2 testers or they where to have 2 onsite I only saw my tester but I was swarmed before I could unload everything. It does make it really nice and there are alot more tested here do to it being free.

Last edited:
Quote:
NPIP is not NAIS. You don't have to put numbered bands on your birds or keep track that closely. It is simply once a year testing for Pullorum/Typhoid & testing every 90 days for AI. Benefits: You can legally sell & ship birds & eggs out of state, you can only buy from other NPIP participants, you get a number (mine is #51-370) on a permit to sell eggs & birds, people will know your birds are clean (better sales), and you will know your birds are healthy. You have to get birds tested anyway in order to show. Downside: your Dept. of Ag is in your face, in your business (kinda like Santa Clause on Xmas eve), they know everything that goes on regarding your birds, the inconvenience of having to bring birds to them for testing, paperwork (sales reports), you are limited in who you can buy from, you cannot buy at local auctions (non-NPIP birds!), or even eggbid or eBay unless the seller is NPIP. It is only a requirement if you want to ship birds & eggs or show them out of state.

It's not NAIS, but you're giving the same info to the same people, so...your call. I have been an NPIP participant for a few years, but I do believe that NPIP is just another way for the USDA to know what you are doing.

Does NPIP make it legal to ship to all states? I thought that there were a few states with more strict testing requirements. I could totally be wrong about this.

You can buy birds from non-NPIP participants, but you have to quarantine in an area where the birds are sufficiently separated from your tested flock and get the new birds tested before you can integrate them. And NPIP does not = healthy birds. You only have to do PT and AI testing for the program, and we all know that there are plenty of other icky chicken diseases floating around out there (as well as a lot of other ways that birds can be unhealthy). I think the fact that a person makes the effort to participate in NPIP counts for something, for sure, but I wouldn't trust the label 'NPIP' as some sort of certification that the birds are disease free and healthy. NPIP is good, but smart bio security and quarantining everything are the ways to ensure you don't bring nasties into your flock.

Poultry Heaven Farm
Florida 58-1089-E
Bay County FL
Hamburgs- Silver Spangled
Bantam Cochins- Black, Blue, White, Lav, Black Mottled
Standard Cochins- Golden Laced, blue, White, mottled
Pheonix- Silver
Polish- Many colors
Duccles- Mille
Ducks:
Muscovys
Mallard-Snowy, white, and grey