NPIP testing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Davlyn, May 21, 2012.

1. Davlyn

Davlyn Songster

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Just what is NPIP testing ? what are they testing for ? My State tests for 2 things, 1 is a form of Avain bird flu, what is the other they usually test for ?
    slipped my mind to ask.
    The lady said they can test for other things but it's $5 a test for each bird bird. I am assuming they test for Mericks .
    I am just having the usuall NPIP testing done

2. NPIP tests for 5 things: avian influenza (AI), pullorum, typhoid, salmonella, and mycoplasma.
    Legally, if you ship birds or eggs, you are supposed to be NPIP certified, but no one checks.

3. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks for the information. I wonderdered about the NPIP on bought hatching eggs.
    Well i asked the vet (granted hes new.).can i get them tested .He said only with a necropsy. I am not willing to kill one of my hens for it.
    I dont intend to sell eggs so thats no problem
    Most worried about my family especially my step father is 83 and eat s 6 eggs a day(just the whites)Dont know how well he cooks them. Old ppl dont always do what they should...heck i dont!!

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Dang sorry ...wrong thread..

5. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Songster

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Each state is different. I know this thread is old but I stumbled upon it while researching NPIP certification. Here in NY state they only test for Pullorum-Typhoid. We can have our birds tested for avian influenza to become AI Certified as well if we want, but it's not a requirement to become NPIP certified.

6. Does any body know what they check for in SC?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: