NPIP this morning...

I honestly don't know what it costs to have done here. It's legal here to test your own birds if you do the class and pass the test, so that's what I did. I had to buy the stuff to do it with, but I figure in the long run it will be worth it. I'm slowly getting the testing done now that it's cooling off. Was not a job I wanted to tackle when it was hot and humid out!

I do think it gives people a false sense of security tho in that it varies from state to state what you're required to test for other than the base pullorium and typhoid. NPIP certified does not necessarily mean disease free.

Mine are done through Ohio and if you participate in the AI program they take off the milage charge. It is $30 for up to 50 birds. I havn't done the MG part so I dont' know anything about that. All they do for the AI is stick a swab down their trachea and send it off. This is something that you need to have done if you want to ship birds or eggs or show out is state. It is also a lot easier than having to have your birds tested for every show. The lady that I deal with is very professional and biosecure. I would recommend it to anyone interested in showing.

Quote:
Definately, that's why I went ahead and tested for the three diseases instead of just the recomended pollorum....

Here in TN a 90 day test is free..a year test is $25.They did about 10 birds and when he left he gave our kids tons of stuff-color books,calendars,note pads..all with chickens and they also have lots of great info for kids in school needing projects.
It also won't do any good to test your flock and then go get more chickens from a non NPIP flock..like some do even though it's a NO and doesn't protect you against all those horrible CRD's out there but to sell legally across state lines you need to have it.
A backyard flock for your own enjoyment and eggs there really isn't a need to get it done..unless you want to show so it doesn't have to be done on site.We only did ours so we can sell hatching eggs legally if we decide to go that route and my daughter wants to show a few of her special chickens.I still have no intentions of any live bird shipping.

It took them 4 hours to run all of the test. 30 chickens and only 10 turkeys tested. All of the Pollorum cam back negative so I have my paperwork.

The MG and AI are marked as monitored.... so no we await these test results to see what is next.

AFAIK it DOES mean Salmonella Free... which I think is important if your selling or giving away eggs for eating, or chickens as well.

The NPIP Pullorum test is for Salmonella Pullorum. It is not a test for Salmonella Enteridits, the common food borne bacteria that causes illness in humans.

I have never seen where Salmonella Pullorum was considered a threat to human health.​

Quote:
The NPIP Pullorum test is for Salmonella Pullorum. It is not a test for Salmonella Enteridits, the common food borne bacteria that causes illness in humans.

I have never seen where Salmonella Pullorum was considered a threat to human health.

Well.. I have more learning to do of course, but I thought we were tested for pullorum, gallinarum & enteritis to get the certification

Quote:
AFAIK it DOES mean Salmonella Free... which I think is important if your selling or giving away eggs for eating, or chickens as well.

I said it only certifies that you're free of pullurum and typhiod which are the only diseases as far as I can tell are required testing by all states. There are many other diseases that not all states require testing for.....so you are not necessarily disease free as many people seem to think.

Back
Top Bottom