Number of chicks/ens you really plan on having... really..

I thought 3 dozen was a good round number. Somehow I find myself with over 100 hens though.
hmm.png

We live out in the middle of nowhere, so limits? There are none.
smile.png

We currently have 33 chickens, with over 40 hatching eggs coming our way this spring!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Welll....we're getting 6 to start with this Spring. But that might go up to 8 or 9
wink.png

Then, I also want to build a separate bantie coop and have some silkies, d'uccles, and cochins in there
tongue.png

We live out in the country so there is no limit. There are 26 out there now in 2 coops. 11 adults(laying) in one coop and 15 chicks from sept in the other. Once the younger pullets start laying the other ones will go (most) then 25 more chicks get here in April. It started as 10...I keep telling myself "I'll never keep this many in winter again" As I trudge thru the snow with gallons of water.

We live out in the country so there is no limit. There are 26 out there now in 2 coops. 11 adults(laying) in one coop and 15 chicks from sept in the other. Once the younger pullets start laying the other ones will go (most) then 25 more chicks get here in April. It started as 10...I keep telling myself "I'll never keep this many in winter again" As I trudge thru the snow with gallons of water.

No limit here, except that there's some local ordnance that says we can't actually run a poultry farm, you know, with thousands of birds all locked up in barns.

I don't think that's much of an issue.

That said, I'm happy with 7 and plan to increase to 9, with the possibility of a few culls late this season after I do some checking of how my current adults are laying. For a brief time I'll have 32, though, as I take in 23 additional chicks who will first go to tractor at a friends place and then into the soup pot.

only allowed 4, but sneaking in 5-6. i live on a corner so i have be especially carefull. i plan on putting up 2 foot high lattise so it's harder to see. i figured if someone busts me, i'll just say i'm chickensitting.

we have 6 silkie chicks now and im planning on 2 ees next week, our city allows 10 but no roos so if i have any ill have to find them homes
sad.png

I live on an acre, belonging to my landlady. She lives in the front house, I live in the back house. She has 3 sheep, which have the run of the entire acre EXCEPT for my back yard. She gave me permission to keep chickens. I looked up the ordinances, and on an acre, we are allotted "25 animal density points." Livestock has different point amounts per genus; with her sheep counting as four points apiece, that leaves me 13 chickens (at one point apiece) until I'm an outlaw chicken keeper. The ordinance ALSO says "immature offspring below sexual maturity" do not count at all.

I have 9 chickens. I know I can get four more...... but I think I'll have to get at least 6 chicks just to make sure I end up with that four. Riiiiiight.

Back
Top Bottom