Number of chicks/ens you really plan on having... really..

I used to have about 30 chickens all grown up and we are only allowed to keep 6
roll.png
they've checked our backyard already in the past years and they haven't told me to get rid of them!
smile.png

Well, I started off last year in the Spring wanting only a few - say 7 or 8 and NO ROOSTER. A week later I went back and got 4 more - had to have some EE's. Two weeks after that the feed store was having a bantam special - hey I got a bargain ok! then, some relatives gave me some chickens - older hens I was giving a good home. Needless to say it went on, and on...... I am a hatchaholic now, I have done three hatches this winter alone, lol. And, this Summer the pool house is getting converted to a new posh coop, and I am going to order some more Light Brahmas, Blue Andalusians, and MAYBE some bantam Light Brahmas ( just for fun I want a miniature of my big LB roo running around - what a hoot that would be right?). So, at the moment my tally is around 50 or so - alot of that is chicks mind you! But I think we will eventually have closer to 100 birds and ( hopefully ) maintain there......maybe
wink.png
big_smile.png

See... you all are addicted to chickens... I'm Not! I have total self-control.
Last year I wanted 25 chickens... now I have more than 135 chickens.... but I am still in control... yea... I haven't lost my self-control (if I tell myself that enough, will it make it true?)....

My city by laws have nothing in it about chickens, ducks and swans,emus ect. are not allowed but chickens were left out oddly enough since the by law written very spacific including odd animal like platapus though it does say no back yard animals so we are going to make a fake indoor "roost" for them and an outdoor "run" just in case some one complains though my sil has 8 + rabbits out side and the spca didn't care
lau.gif
. I think I'll be ok with a reasonable amount of chickens:) I have 4 bantoms and would like 8-10 egg layers going to get 16 chicks though:) But found out I can only have 8 rabbits or I could get a $300 fine, and only 1 breeding pair so I have 2 pet rabbits and going to get a trio of meat rabbits, breeding only one girl at a time will allow a constant supply of meat and won't go against the by law:)

Last edited:
Im new to chickendom...in fact just got my 1st chicks yesterday. I had planned on having 8 (Im in town, but luckily no limit to the # I can have). Well I have 8 chicks but still have 3 more to get (they were out of australorps) and I have 12 silkie eggs and 18 bantam cochin eggs on the way to me!!! Yikes..my #'s grew fast!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Love it

I just got my first 8, I mean 10, I mean 12...Okay I'm at 16. Thankfully I haven't built the coop to size yet. Dh is afraid to build one because the number keeps going up. I can't find my city law (Lancaster, CA)

The county law in unlimited!

I need a big coop.......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom