Numi

Awwwww :love Almost makes me wish I had one that tame… Ghost has been eating millet out of my hand at least! But he takes a bit of finger skin with each bite of millet…:hmm
If I didn't know you already had a Ghost,as well as a name waiting for him, I swear that would be Numi's name. I nodded off one evening before turning the lights on, so when I woke the only light in the room came from the router and air filter, and this grayish white apparation staring me in the eye. 👻 His xylophone finally arrived so he's been banging on it this a.m.
Mia is always struggling to get around Mama's head block when I hand feed them. Sometimes she gets the whole tip of a finger before realizing she has a mouth full & backs up. She doesn't bite down, thankfully. If you're ever close up when one yawns & see how much room is behind that beak,it'd kind of creep you out!

Numi - 12 weeks. Walked around briefly outside today while I went for the mail, was waiting at door for me when I got back.🤣 1st pic faded out; taking pics at night not ideal, but atleast you can see how big he's gotten.
20220126_003852.jpg

Pretty sure, unless an egg appears. He's much like my other boys were, mostly quiet. Not sure what you call a male guinea's crowing, but he does it once-just once -each evening around the same time-and then stares at me. Much like Nug used to do in the evening when he'd perch on top of the coop to call everyone inside. Except w/Numi, it's putting me on notice that it's HIS time for attention.

Pretty sure, unless an egg appears. He's much like my other boys were, mostly quiet. Not sure what you call a male guinea's crowing, but he does it once-just once -each evening around the same time-and then stares at me. Much like Nug used to do in the evening when he'd perch on top of the coop to call everyone inside. Except w/Numi, it's putting me on notice that it's HIS time for attention.
⬆️So...'once in the evening when it's time for attention'.⬆️
I just finished grooming the dogs. This seems to make Numi jealous, as the banging on the toys and ratatatat chattering start up, the signal that it's Numi time. But when that didn't work, a new sound emerged: "Kavack!! Kavack!!" -At 15 weeks. So it would appear I was wrong.
That's somewhat of a relief-all eggs and no keets this year (otherwise I'd have bookoo jumbos again). But-- 15 weeks!!! Talk about your late bloomer!

Numi-18 weeks. She had her shower today. Since it was snowing, we weren't going outside. It may sound odd to hear of a guinea taking a shower, but she loves to stretch out her neck and let the spray run down it.
She's going to live in the new coop w/the incoming and be allowed to be the queen bee of her own domain. Mama is not nice to her at all, the other 2 are indifferent when we're all outside, but not willing to have her trapped in the coop w/3 jumbos. Usually when Mama advances, she hops in my lap, but acouple of times she's lowered those wings ready to have a go and I've had to remind her (as I snatch her up) of the size diff.
As mentioned in another thread, the jumbos have utterly confused me w/ their behavior, so I'm just going to hang about and see who lays eggs this year. Obviously Mama is a proven despite her behavior. Mia has developed a prominent ceres - don't know if that matters or not, but she chases Brodie away constantly. Mama chases everyone away. Brodie just takes herself away. So I'm doubting myself now. Mama's the only one that makes ANY noise other than stranger danger chattering. Numi is most definitely a "baby girl," just ask her. 😁 she
kavacks the day away.
20220311_180029.jpg

Numi-18 weeks. She had her shower today. Since it was snowing, we weren't going outside. It may sound odd to hear of a guinea taking a shower, but she loves to stretch out her neck and let the spray run down it.
She's going to live in the new coop w/the incoming and be allowed to be the queen bee of her own domain. Mama is not nice to her at all, the other 2 are indifferent when we're all outside, but not willing to have her trapped in the coop w/3 jumbos. Usually when Mama advances, she hops in my lap, but acouple of times she's lowered those wings ready to have a go and I've had to remind her (as I snatch her up) of the size diff.
As mentioned in another thread, the jumbos have utterly confused me w/ their behavior, so I'm just going to hang about and see who lays eggs this year. Obviously Mama is a proven despite her behavior. Mia has developed a prominent ceres - don't know if that matters or not, but she chases Brodie away constantly. Mama chases everyone away. Brodie just takes herself away. So I'm doubting myself now. Mama's the only one that makes ANY noise other than stranger danger chattering. Numi is most definitely a "baby girl," just ask her. 😁 she
kavacks the day away.
View attachment 3021860
Cute pic! So you are adding a new coop for Numi and new birds? All of my babies from last year have declared their sex, except for one white that I’m 90% sure is a cock… He confuses me though because he’s split off with Bruiser and his two girls, forming an unexpected quartet. I expect that neither he nor Bruiser know yet that he’s actually a dude! I could be wrong, could be female but even when separated and communicating with the rest of the flock, I’ve never heard him buckwheat.

Back
Top Bottom