Nurses Post

Pics
1704141691414.png

Once had to do the Heimlich maneuver on a choking patient in the dining hall. It worked. Obstruction came flying out of the elderly gent's mouth, flew across the table and to my surprise landed with a plop in the middle of a lady's plate. Handed the patient off to his nurse and without a beat said, "and please get this nice lady a new plate of food".

You can never lose your cool. Even under the worst conditions.

My aides were fantastic. They knew their residents, knew when they were acting 'off' and came to me when they suspected something wasn't right. I asked one once how a new aide was working out and she said, 'fine, she asked me about 'the nurse' and I told her, keep her residents clean, turned and safe and get her daily vitals when she asks you to and she will go to Hell and back for you but don't do those things and you're toast.'

One thing I've always wanted to ask other nurses is how do you deal with grief?

Death wasn't unusual where I worked. After unexpectedly losing a favorite resident after a grueling 45 minute siege of CPR, teary aides came up to us and asked us how we could NOT cry when we lost a resident we cared for daily.

The nurse I worked with said we do cry. The families expect us to be the strong shoulders for them to lean on when they lose a family member so we have to be there for them. We cry later.

I found that something silly would set off all the pent up grief that I felt. A sad tv show or movie for instance. Titanic made me sob like a baby but it was a cathartic type of crying that got rid of all the stress and grief of dealing with so much death and suffering.

In another lifetime I was having my annual physical from our woman doctor. She said, "Here comes the part all you guys hate." I replied, "I've been looking forward to this ever since we met." :oops: Today I guess this would be a firing offense. I also have a story about a male doctor that I will not share.

In another lifetime I was having my annual physical from our woman doctor. She said, "Here comes the part all you guys hate." I replied, "I've been looking forward to this ever since we met." :oops: Today I guess this would be a firing offense. I also have a story about a male doctor that I will not share.
Trust me, Sour, docs would rather have a patient with a sense of humor over a humorless sourpuss any day of the week.

Once had to do the Heimlich maneuver on a choking patient in the dining hall. It worked. Obstruction came flying out of the elderly gent's mouth, flew across the table and to my surprise landed with a plop in the middle of a lady's plate. Handed the patient off to his nurse and without a beat said, "and please get this nice lady a new plate of food".

You can never lose your cool. Even under the worst conditions.

My aides were fantastic. They knew their residents, knew when they were acting 'off' and came to me when they suspected something wasn't right. I asked one once how a new aide was working out and she said, 'fine, she asked me about 'the nurse' and I told her, keep her residents clean, turned and safe and get her daily vitals when she asks you to and she will go to Hell and back for you but don't do those things and you're toast.'

One thing I've always wanted to ask other nurses is how do you deal with grief?

Death wasn't unusual where I worked. After unexpectedly losing a favorite resident after a grueling 45 minute siege of CPR, teary aides came up to us and asked us how we could NOT cry when we lost a resident we cared for daily.

The nurse I worked with said we do cry. The families expect us to be the strong shoulders for them to lean on when they lose a family member so we have to be there for them. We cry later.

I found that something silly would set off all the pent up grief that I felt. A sad tv show or movie for instance. Titanic made me sob like a baby but it was a cathartic type of crying that got rid of all the stress and grief of dealing with so much death and suffering.
I still say "goodnight" to my favorite patient/resident when I look up at the stars - as she asked me to do before she passed. And ~ I hope it's not too strange... but, I named one of my hens after her.

When the PA was doing my physical a few years ago, she asked if a student could observe. Sure. The student was surprised by my good humor. The PA and student both thanked me for being "so good natured about all this" and letting the student observe.

Well, they gotta see it/learn it somewhere!
Ugh. I am the dermatologists' favorite patient for her students to learn on. ::red hair, and all the issues that go with it:: But - I'm to old to be embarrassed about that stuff anymore.

I do remember a student being in on my second c-section. I told my doctor "No students" on my 3rd. It takes longer, and I wasn't up for that, again.

Back
Top Bottom