Nutri-drench

Kateespencer

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2021
So I have a question. My male duck ended up with wet feather this past week. I was reading about what the causes could be and I honestly don’t think it’s his diet. I think his gland was clogged due to lack of bathing. It’s cold here in Wyoming and they just can’t get in the water every day. Anyways when I was reading about what to do I came across nutri-drench and decided I’d order some. I put some in his water today but I was wondering how long I do this for or if it’s something they can have all the time??

You can't really overdo it on that, it's like us taking a multivitamin. Any excess would just pass through them. Not exactly cost effective to give every day though.
Upstate NY here, I have a black plastic mortar tub from Lowes that I fill up with a 5 gallon bucket a few times a week. They make a mess of it quick, but that helps to keep them clean-ish for now.

How old is he and how long since his last molt? Could he just be getting ready to molt ? If so, that will cure your problem. Currently looks like a giant pillow fight at my place.

We got them as babies last spring so they will be one in April or so. He hasn’t had his first molt yet. I have noticed some feathers but not a ton. When do they typically molt? I’m assuming with us living in a colder climate it won’t be until closer to spring. 🤷‍♀️ I did the nutri drench for 2 days in their water and today it was nice enough for the pool and his feathers did look near as wet as they did the other day. We did also bring him inside on Wednesday and get him in the warm bath and clean him with dawn dish soap. We made sure to keep him inside for the night got him nice and dry with the blow dryer before we sent him back out. So I’m not sure if it was the bath that made it better or the vitamins but he looks much better.

We got them as babies last spring so they will be one in April or so. He hasn’t had his first molt yet. I have noticed some feathers but not a ton. When do they typically molt? I’m assuming with us living in a colder climate it won’t be until closer to spring. 🤷‍♀️ I did the nutri drench for 2 days in their water and today it was nice enough for the pool and his feathers did look near as wet as they did the other day. We did also bring him inside on Wednesday and get him in the warm bath and clean him with dawn dish soap. We made sure to keep him inside for the night got him nice and dry with the blow dryer before we sent him back out. So I’m not sure if it was the bath that made it better or the vitamins but he looks much better.
That's good but don't use dawn or any soap on them. Dawn in particular removes the oil from their feathers so if he has wet feather, it will make it worse because you are stripping all the natural oil off his feathers. He may be molting to put on his nuptial feathers for spring mating.

Back
Top Bottom