nutritionally safe ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TerryLou, Jul 28, 2011.

1. TerryLou

TerryLou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Can chickens eat rabbit pellets ? I know they Can, I guess I should rephrase that.... is it safe ?

2. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they were my chickens I wouldn't make a habit of feeding rabbit pellets. Chicken feed is nutritionally balanced to provide everything they need for egg and feather production. I also give mine green stuff such as lettuce, lawn clippings, spinach leaves as this helps deepen the yolk. They also get some mixed corn late afternoon time.

Hope this helps.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

3. TerryLou

TerryLou Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    So far they have been fed Purina Sart & Grow. I also have a bunny & got a good deal on pellets & was wondering if I could mix some in to make the Purina stretch.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I give mine alfalfa hay, which they have free choice at all times. Rabbit pellets are just alfalfa, pelletized.

5. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I would not make it the center of their diet, but if they get some here and there it will not hurt them. My girls love to forage under the rabbit hutches for dropped pellets and treats [​IMG]

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-2 [​IMG] Alfalfa by the bale and we add a little to their diet daily.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  7. Talisman

Talisman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    x-3 I give mine rabbit pellets every now and again... They loooove it!!

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:NO they are not!

While alfalfa meal is typically a large portion of a rabbit pellet, they are not simply "alfala, pelletized".

9. giggleboxfarm

giggleboxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Central KY
    I was so disgusted when I saw the ingredient list for alfalfa pellets. I too thought they were pretty much all alfalfa but there is LOTS of other junk in there.

10. mcjweb

mcjweb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    Chickens eat pretty much anything, I would try to limit as a snack though. My girls eat up my pygmy goat food driving him crazy but he runs and eats their chicken food, so I use the goat food mixed 40/60 with cracked corn to make a mix I throw on the ground as a snack.
    charlie

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by