NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I'm sorry about your MIL. It's sad and hard. My great aunt lived with alzheimer's for 15 years and it was really hard. She had early onset of it in her late 50's.

2. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Cheeka, I am sorry for your loss.

My favorite soup is hot and sour and while I will make it, I can never get it like the chinese resturaunt either.

3. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    Rancher did you find your pullet this morning?

overslept. It's 7:45 on my 1st cup of coffee. Chickens and ducks still locked up. I should have had 3 more roosters beheaded by now. Guess I needed the sleep. Oh well.

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Stony---exactly how many roosters do you have??? Seems like you are butchering forever! How old did you grow them out to before you started? I need to restock my freezer and am trying to decide how many to hatch out for processing. Dont have a lot of room to keep them so I may end up hatching in small amounts, growing them out and planning another hatch by processing time.

Rancher--you find that pullet yet?

County--great pics of your birds and they are gorgeous!

This is my first saturday off in I dont know how long. I feel rich...I have a whole weekend to spend! Of course I didnt get to sleep in as the cheeps were demanding out by 630. Have to go buy them some greens today. Good thing I emptied all the outdoor waterers last night as they would have been frozen solid. Egglaying is going strong this morning judging from all the egg songs I am hearing. Means many happy customers.

Enjoy the day everyone!

5. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    Heres a recent pic of our Woods coop and the terrorists. Just sharing....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    The honest answer is I don't know how many. Just killed 3 more, they are hanging as the water warms. The freezer count is only 16 since Thanksgiving [​IMG]. If I had to venture a guess I'd say 10 more need to go to freezer camp to leave me 10 to 15 roosters for the girls. But it is all a guess. Never counted the boys. What I'm doing is removing either young randy roo's from pens ( finished that this morning) and removing roosters I don't want from my tin shed AKA the Sumatra broody coop. I take note of 2 things. Who harrasses the pullets the most and who isn't the right coloring to breed with. Personally I don't care about coloring or showing but many who buy eggs or chicks from me do. I may do 3 more tomorrow. I may wait till next weekend, not sure.
    Sumatra's are small birds so as soon as they start harrassing the girls at 6 or 7 months old is when I kill them off.

My wife and I have talked of getting meat birds this spring. Which means rearranging everyone to empty a pen as I don't see pan building time in my near future.

But anyway I'm doing what the flock needs. Roosters removed for the good of the flock. 2 of them this morning and the next 3 were 100% free range rooster who lived in a shed at night. The ones that demand to live in tree's get a free pass. I'm not hunting roosters [​IMG]

7. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    can't see the pics. Says something about not logged into AOL.

8. Arty

Arty Out Of The Brooder

Pharmchickenmom is photo posting challenged, so I will help her out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. stonykill

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    thanks! That is a great coop. I may just mod one or 2 of my coops into that style in the future.

10. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks to DH for putting up the pics. I freely admit that technology and I dont always get along. Oh, those are my rir girls cranking out those eggs. I also call them the terrorists. Why, because they spend their days plotting on how to get out and how to trip me up when I come with goodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by