NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I went out this am and saw the missing EE pullet on the other side of the fence. Coaxed her back in where she belongs. I noticed they can jump the fence. Not sure where she spent the night only glad she was ok. This has happened before with a Dominique hen.

Lost a Del hen last night. She'd been quarantined for a while and I had treated her with vitamins, Sulmet and later Duramycin. Not sure what was wrong. She was eating and drinking and pooping but just looked off. Squinty eyes and pale comb. No other signs of anything. I think it was some internal thing, though she didn't feel egg bound. She'd been quarantined for a while so she lived considerably longer than I'd expected. I had actually intended to put her down anyhow. I like to give them time to recover. If they don't after a reasonable amount of time or show improvement then they have to go. She wasn't from my line.

Pharm - I've taken to using those black rubber tubs from TSC for waterers. Then I can just knock any frozen water out and fill it with hot. Which of course usually is warm by the time all the ice left inside melts. Much easier than using the summer red waters and bringing them inside and running water to get them thawed.

I have two five gallon buckets with nipples and heaters inside two runs, though I found one off last night. I'd knocked the cord out turning the lights on or off inside the coop. Ugh!

Hey, Arty, what's going on?

take care and stay warm, it's going to get pretty cold so they say,

Rancher

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Thanks for the awesome suggestions, Gramma Chick! I am really looking forward to supplementing my girls' meals with carrot peelings, lettuce leaves, etc. It sounds like they are most appreciative of your generous efforts!

3. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry about your Delaware hen. I guess when these things happen, you have to take comfort in knowing you tried to help and gave your bird a chance.

On a brighter note, glad you got your EE back, safe & sound!

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Jan 3, 2013
    CHEEKA,

Sorry to hear about your family's loss. It seems we all know someone struggling with Alzheimer's.

TOB

5. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Anyone know...
    Can I use a heavier material for a saddle for my poor hen's back? Like a faux leather?
    She is in a cage temporarily because her injury is so bad, but I want to get her back with the flock ASAP. Would the injury be able to breathe enough to heal under thicker material? I'm worried if the roos try to mate with her again they will rip her open again.

6. cracrzy4chicks

cracrzy4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Westernville, NY
    I use the material from old jeans and double it. It's qiute thick & durable

7. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    The hawk was back out watching the yard this morning. The birds weren't out for it to attack. Darn thing!

8. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    If you are sure it's the rooster I would use something heavier or just keep her separated til she heals. I had a RIR who was being picked on and I moved her in with the Dels and you should see her now. She looks really nice. They didn't mess with her. She did however get out and move back to her original coop and I left her there. She seems to have taken a liking to one of the meat ball boys. Mario or Luigi the two black orps.

They won't forget her, just stick her back in at night.

9. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I was worred a hawk had gotten my EE, but no. I was planning my attack on it, if it was a hawk. Law or no law it would meet it's end. I say that but I don't own a gun so I have no idea how I would deal with it. Other than build more runs and grow more cover for the chickens to hide under.

by the way, I'm not one to promote anyone else, since they are my competition? but I have a sussex hen I got in a trade with Marq? And she is very nice at laying. She did go broody and mothered longer than I would have liked but she is a nice girl.

Marq, if you read this, I noticed that two of my BM's have noticeable silver on their heads and down a ways. I am getting ready to set eggs too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  10. ChickPrincess

ChickPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Canandaigua NY
    Good idea! I have several pair of old jeans. Didn't even think of that.
    I think I will quarantine her for awhile, though. She has quite the nasty wound. Poor thing. :(

But that guy came and picked up Oreo (EE rooster) this morning!!! Yay!!! I think Oreo will do just fine with him. He just didn't fit our flock well. It has seemed a bit calmer today, and hopefully the "favorite" hens will have less to put up with now. 2 BA roos for 34 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by