NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    I'm in the Albany area and thinking of ordering some blue orpingtons from Sandhill....anyone else in the area want to go in on an order? I maybe want 6 or 7 chicks.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Your having a baby!?? I must have missed it. congratulations.

OH this weather. Came home and didn't check on the chicken cuz I was up at 4 and then at school. I was so tired I took a nap.

Oh I did make a run to CM for wood shavings. There on sale but only til Mon. I was afraid I wouldn't get the Noble kind. Large chips the chickens like to roll in.

Then I took a nap.

Anyhow it turned out the BM's got shut in cuz the wind blew the door closed. Which of course is why I got only one egg. [​IMG] The other coops did well except those darned BR's and 2 SLW's. I left their light on tonight. I hope that gets things moving.

8 more days on the hatch. Then I gotta plan on the next one. If all these Birchens turn out that will be it for them this year. Unless of course the hens decide to sit. I think that Sussex has got plans as I've had to move her a couple of times from her nest on the floor.

Tab - how are your buckeye doing? Where did you get them?

DW is at DD's cuz they're got something. She had to do a medicine run.

It's snowing here. If I do wake up at 4 again I may go out and snow blow. Though the neighbors may not like it. I should've gotten a blower with a light on the front.

Well take care and be warm,

Rancher

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Noooooooo, I'm not and don't plan on anymore. So if anyone close wants some Similac, let me know.

4. Lapeerian

Lapeerian Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Anyone know if Annie is still hatching. She was in Albany area and has B/B/S orps. I got some last year, end up with a blue and black hen. Black roo I just rehomed this morning- too many Roos for me. Beautiful birds. Tab and Trav have the splash roo.

5. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Congratulations! A new baby on the way, how egg-citing!

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    What plan? We never planned. [​IMG] Spontaneity, can be fun. Beside I always figured if someone is going to have kids it might as well be us. DW is smart and beautiful, and I'm fun so what more can you ask in offspring. [​IMG]

She always says we have a strange and wonderful relationship. I'm strange and she's wonderful. [​IMG]

Take care,

Rancher

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Well, today is Lockdown day for our silkie eggs. My daughters already have their noses pressed against the plastic to check for pips. All 7(small incubator) chicks were bouncing around inside the eggs. I am looking forward to a great hatch and then getting some mille fleur eggs from County Boy. LOVE HIS BIRDS[​IMG]

8. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Hatching and/or the study of chicken growth is part of the curriculum in NYS. It's science that young children can understand and appriciate. Not to meantion cuddle with gently. [​IMG]

How the teacher deals with the whole hatching thing is up to them. Last year some teachers had better than 50% hatch rates. Then there was one burn out who tried twice to hatch eggs (from the same source) and it yeilded exactly ONE chick. (seems she just didn't care enough about teaching science to turn the darn things. I know her name, I won't give her any of my eggs, I respect my chickens too much to do that)

When I hatched with my 4 year old class I borrowed a key from the Day Care owner and came in twice a day each of the 3 weekends to turn them. I am pretty sure that if one teacher lives close to the school s/he would turn the eggs for the entire grade level doing the hatch. Or maybe they rotate who's weekend it is to turn the eggs. (It seems they try to do it all the same time of year....I'm sure they help each other out)

9. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Congratulations, Tab and Travis! [​IMG]

10. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

x2 on the Ora-jel. It worked like a charm for the toothache I had....went to the dentist and it turned out it wasn't my tooth, it was a sinus problem. BUT Ora-jel worked on the toothache. LOL You can put the ora-jel on a q-tip to apply it, so your finger doesn't go numb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by