NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I can imagine this must be the ultimate test of someone's patience!! Kind of like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

TOB

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Switch to Chrome, block ads, no more problems. :p

3. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Oooooh, thank you Featherz!

4. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    It is. They are taking their sweet time. Still moving around in the eggs, so no probs there.

5. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    How do you block the ads? I never used to mind them when they were all chicken oriented, now they are for all kinds of things that I am not interested in looking at. I did optout of adsense ads, but where is the ad blocker?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    As am I. If BYC has no control over these ads they should admit it and tell us. I was trusting BYC but now I am not. Further be aware that just like facebook everything you say here is out there for the world. The same goes with pictures too. Just google your user name and you'll see what I mean.

I will not longer BYC as validating any advertisers. Just cuz they're on here doesn't mean they are trustworthy sites.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Expecting chicks on Saturday. I'm getting better at waiting. [​IMG]

For all you newbies. Chickens take 21 days right? Wrong. It depends on your incubator and situation.

Temps need to be 99.5 right? Wrong. I've read higher and I run higher. It depends on your incubator.

Follow the manufacturers instructions. I've got the Genesis 1588 from a about three years ago. It may have been improved. Yours may be different.

I've had chicks hatch early and late. So don't call it til your sure.

I pull all the chicks three days after the first one has hatched and leave the others for a couple of days if they've started to pip or I see some life. If they haven't escaped after that they probably won't even if they are alive. Sooner if things are crowded. [​IMG]

Everyone has to work out their own system.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Hard to reply from phone, but it's a chrome add on.ad blocker plus I believe. You can also get for Firefox but with the chrome version I was able to turn off all side bars also.

9. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Agreed! All systems are different as are the chicks. They are actually due tomorrow...day 21. 2 pipped just this morning, the others are rockin' and rollin'. I let mine go up to 25...as a just in case. I've had them hatch at day 24. What kind of chicks are you expectng?

10. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    Back from a week in the sun. It was nice to be warm, but it's good to be back.

My Bator currently has 35 eggs in in (Pulled 7 clears last night). 5 of the 7 were Cold (See frozen) so it surprised me not that they did not develop. I have 12 Jersey Giants, 8 Lavender Orpingtons, 5 Olive Eggers, and 10 Lavender/black ameracaunas.

Should hatch on the 15th.

Framac

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by