NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm hatching the marans because I'd like more dark eggs and I'm working toward getting more colored egg layers too. I've got one blue EE hen that lays a nice blue egg but not as big as her mother.

A good 2.0 + size is what I'm going for. I have a scale and am weighing them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Featherz--thanks for the recipe! I will try it out tomorrow.

I found a huge egg in the terrorist coop today. It is the biggest egg I have seen yet and it had to hurt. Didnt see anyone walking funny though. I sold my silkie boys today. A young lady saw my ad and texted me. She told me a weasel got into the coop and killed 30 birds one night. Her father fixed the entry point and and armored up the coop. She told me how upset her little brother and sister were at losing their pets. How could I resist? Anyways, her dad came by and we talked chickens for a while and he decided to take all the boys as he had 3 children and couldnt bring home just one or two. I am just glad they are going to a good home with kids who will love them. Poor Legolas was very upset at being alone all of a sudden so I moved the new girls and Arwin in with him. I sat and observed them for a while and they seemed to get along. There was very little fuss and I think Legolas will be happy to have his own women now. So now my second breeding coop is complete and I am happy. Now waiting for eggs so I can use my new bator!!!

I have been getting lots of eggs but my egg customers are buying them up like crazy. Delivering another 6 dozen at work on friday. As long as people keep buying, I will keep my numbers where they are at. We can always eat them down at a later date if sales drop off. [​IMG]

3. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    I just copied that recipe, too. Sounds so delicious! I'm sure there's not a lick of fat or cholesterol, right? [​IMG] Thanks for sharing it.

TOB

4. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    That's so sad about the weasel; I've heard how they will kill just for the excitement of it and go thru a whole coop.

On a brighter note, I'm glad you got things arranged the way you wanted them at your own coop!

TOB

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just found a 12 egg version on the net.. never tried this one:

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/12-egg-pound-cake.html

I bake the pound cakes in small loaf tins and just freeze them. Good 'survival food' . :)

and a few more..

12 Egg Pound Cake

12 EGG POUND CAKE

1 lb. butter (not margarine)
    3 1/2 c.sugar
    Pinch salt
    4 c. sifted flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    12 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. almond extract

Cream butter thoroughly, gradually add sugar, beat until light and fluffy. Mix baking
    powder with flour. Add 3 tablespoons flour mixture to butter and egg mixture; beat well.
    Add remaining flour and eggs alternately until all have been added. Add flavorings.
    Bake in two 10 inch tube pans for 1 hour at 325 degrees. This recipe is over 150 years old.
    --------------------------
    OLD FASHION POUND CAKE

1 lb. butter
    1 lb. flour
    1 tsp. lemon flavor
    1 lb. sugar
    12 eggs

The cake has only these 5 ingredients. All ingredients should be room temperature.
    Cream butter and sugar together. Separate eggs; beat yolks together and the whites
    together separately. Add egg yolks and lemon flavoring all at once to creamed butter
    and sugar, mixing all together with the hands. Add the egg whites alternately with
    flour, mixing with hands. Finally, beat about 3 minutes with electric mixer. Pour
    batter into tube pound cake pan and bake at 325 degree about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Source(s):

http://www.ochef.com/r272.htm

6. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Ok. Seriously. Pound cake. I feel the "pounds" waiting at the oven door to get me! Ack! Wish I had more eggs. Between hatching and eating it seems I never have enough. We have 40 or so hens. Problem is many are "geriatric" and the kids named them. Hard to eat Betty. If anyone is close to Voorheesville I could take some off your hands. ;)

7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Look Rancher, someone learned something from you. [​IMG]

8. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I have eggs. Maaan, do I have eggs. Customers kinda dried up when I was out of town for a month every single weekend (most stopped on weekends). I gave the food pantry 10 dozen a couple weeks ago and now I have 8 dozen regular eggs and three 18 count boxes of D'uccle eggs. How many ya want? I actually started giving them MORE scratch grains to dry up the production (it's working too, down to only 10 eggs a day. LOL) I have a wedding on Sunday, but can meet you at TSC Friday evening or Saturday. (I'll need feed by then anyway....****, I think they are piggies not chickens out there. I know, I know, no forage cuz it's winter, but dayum, this feed bill is killing me)

Edited to add; I have no idea why the website added those stars, I didn't use any curse words....unless it was a typo that was taken as a curse word. I swear, I didn't swear.

9. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

That looks like a LOT of work. For all the lazy people, like me, out there, here is my pound cake recipe.

1 box vanilla cake mix
    1 box vanilla (or french vanilla) instant pudding
    4 eggs
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup cooking oil (any kind except olive)

Open the boxes, throw the contents into a stand mixer bowl. Add the wet ingredients, minus the egg shell pieces. Turn on mixer and mix for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides to make sure all the dry ingredients get throughly mixed in.

Put in 2 well lubed loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. I use a turkey skewer, cuz I can't reach the toothpicks in my house. It works just as well and is reuseable if you rinse it off and dry it)

I bet this would work with Chocolate mixes too. Or how about Chocolate cake mix and Raspberry pudding? YUM.

10. HSCMorgans

HSCMorgans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Bath, NY Steuben County
    Ill sure take your layers, Ive been looking to increase my layer flock! Lol seriously though!!

We had to put down the chick that hatched for us a few days ago... Terrible case of what I do believe was wryneck... Thanks for those of you that gave me some advise. This sweet little baby was so bad he could not stay upright at all.... It was going to be a beautiful BLRW too... :(

Im not one to spend a lot of time in the kitchen but you guys sure have me thinking about pound cake! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by