NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    Good luck with the buckeye eggs! Tabs are beautiful! i wish I had a Marans roo who laid greens...wish all my roos laid eggs I would not care what the color!

Today my youngest daughter turns 9...born at 12:55 pm...I have been blessed with a beautiful young lady!

Have a wonderful day!

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I don't plan on getting chicks or running the incubator. I'm going to let the girls handle it all this year. The only reason I plan on even turning the incubators on is to put in unhatched eggs after the broody gets off the nest. Then they go back to her

3. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Thanks for the welcome! I'm anxiously awaiting a call from the post office (hopefully today) so that I can go pick up some more silkie chicks... I loved having them last year, but am now down to only two. It was a horrible winter for me with predators- I have this hawk that sits outside my coop and just WAITS.

[​IMG]

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well If it was here it wouldn't be sitting for long. I may not be able to kill it but I can darn sure make it wish it were sitting somewhere else.

5. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    I would trust BYC over e-bay. I never had a bad experience with e-bay, but you can get to know someone on BYC just by reading posts and what not.

Toss a bunch of quitters last night going into lock down. Most of them were laid during that very cold snap we had. I marked them with an F, most i believe froze. 23 or 24 into lock down.

Framac

6. Cydney83

Cydney83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Central New York!
    I have two who sit outside the coops and on the high trees..I have white homing pigeons for my dove release business and the hawks wait until I loft fly them with hopes of a snack! I did loose one last fall to a hawk. The homers are very smart now! A few Saturdays ago two hawks were flying with them...lucky for high winds the homers out flew them! I thought they were goners~!

7. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Looks like you have the "pleasure" of entertaining a Cooper's Hawk keeping tabs on your coop...and there is no pun intended. Hawks are protected, but making his perch time unpleasant or stressful by loudly approaching him when possible might make him avoid being as frequent a patron as he is now. They are amazing predators and very impressive, but of course, not so much so when they are after your birds.

TOB

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    We have our LH EE in with our Del roo (beefcake) and we've set some of their eggs to see how the offspring will be. Our pen walls go right to the ceiling so they can't fly out. So far all 4 buckeye eggs we set are growing.

9. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    I'll have to take a pic. Some of the eggs are a little darker than the others, but they're no where near as dark as Sue's marans.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I had some CM's once and they were ok. Sometimes I think there is a trade off between color and productivity. Not to mention Barred and Cuckoo patterns are auto sexing. This is the reason for the Rhodbars and such.

Next to an EE green or blue I'm sure they look dark enough. [​IMG]

I'm happy with mine laying a xtra large egg and dark, rather than a smaller but darker egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by