NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Here's the pic of my maran eggs and one BLRW. The lighter of the dark ones is from the one cuckoo maran I have. The darker are from the golden cuckoo marans. The pic doesn't show that difference as well as seeing it in person.

[​IMG]

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I reckon my BM's lay at least that. Which is fine. Only one egg today though they do tend to lay late in the day. Anyone know if anything determines when a hen will lay.

You know time of year she was hatched and all that. These I got late in the year, though they did mature fast.

Those are nice Tab you should be satisfied. What number is that on the card? I don't have a card. They were selling them once and wanted way to much money for a little post card. $5?? I don't think so.

Now I wonder what the crossing of colors would bring in the marans. BC and BM or Blue and GC that type of thing. Don't really matter to me as long as it's dark and large.

3. Tab's chicken obsession

Tab's chicken obsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    rome,ny
    Thanks. I think the egg color between mixing types would vary on what color the parents lay and then selective breeding depending on the desired color. I think some of the feather colors from mixing the types would turn out pretty. We've crossed the blue and golden cuckoo to get blue cuckoo.

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Just marking my spot...

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'm drowning in eggs!! LOL. Went from about 4 eggs a day to over two dozen a day - and that's with two of the three sets just starting to lay again. Definitely going to downsize this year or I'll be making a LOT of 12-egg pound cake. :)

6. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    featherz, I think I am going to have the same problem. Got 9 eggs today and they seem to be gearing up with the extra daylight. I believe the skylights in the coop give them more light than the usual coop.

Do you have a recipe for that 12-egg pound cake? Hard to believe, but we are all getting tired of cheesecake.

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I hear that. I'm struggling with whether to give up my BR's or not. Though I am in contact with someone on having some butchering done, so I might just take the whole flock out and have them done.

I'm getting plenty of eggs so I don't know that I want to have so many birds. Not to mention the new chicks.

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I got it wrong it's 10 eggs - but I usually end up using 12 or so since I use up all the itty bitty eggs. One egg should be about 1/4 cup, so I just go by cups instead of actual eggs.. Found here on the forum, not my recipe..

OLD FASHION POUND CAKE

3 c. sugar
    1 lb. butter, softened
    10 eggs
    4 c. plain flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Measure and sift flour, baking powder and dash of salt. Add flour to mixture in several parts. Stop mixer, add about 1/3 of the flour, start mixer back slowly, then mix fast JUST UNTIL MIXED. Repeat until dry ingredients are all incorporated. Scrape down sides after each mixing. Put in 10 inch tube pan that has been greased and floured. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool in pan for a few minutes before removing.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, since I switched jobs and don't have as many people to sell to (nor the time to put up an egg stand), I definitely do NOT need this many eggs.

10. horsekeeper

horsekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Middleburgh, NY
    Sounds yummy (and fattening), thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by