NY chicken lover!!!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by peggym, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    I cured wry neck once....Vitamins...baby kind without out iron....saved the bird. It was a roo. Ate him. Tasty. LOL

2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
  3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Oh my!!
    Thanks...I do enjoy my buckeyes!! Happy birthday to your daughter!!!

4. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    With us it is Quiche...... Both 12 egg lb cake and cheese[​IMG]cake sound better.

5. vmdanielsen

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    Looks easy peasy!!! Think I will make some tomorrow for valentines day......but I think I will add some poppy seeds and lemon........mmmmmm

6. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    When they start & quit ...dont you help them ? I think if the shell isnt opened they must run out of air ..it seems I saw someone that did help by putting a little hole in the end ( like with a pin .
    Ive never hatched so it is just a guess .

7. Gramma Chick

Gramma Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2012
    Jordan New York
    I have been a ebay seller for 7 years ..People sometimes put rare in their title to get more hits ...Doesnt mean it is really rare .. It is a dishonest practice to me . I dont do it unless it IS RARE.
    I have worked hard to earn Ebays Top Rated Plus Seller Seal .
    There are a lot of different types of people selling on ebay ..you can read their feedback ..but you dont really know them ...or what their husbandtry is ..with chicken s .
    People sell on ebay to make money . I went more full time after falling on my job ..& breaking my ankle in 3 places . It slowed me down quite a bit .. ( 6 months to recover )
    I cant see any harm from buying eggs ..I would not buy chickens ! . Good Luck ! Chickens look pretty ..I Googled some !

I trust people more from here ..when it comes to chickens ...I talk to them ..listen to their replies ..how they take care of their chickens .
    I love my chickens ..so I more careful about them ..than I would be about a toaster or such on Ebay or Amazon .

And Chickens are one of the few things ..that actually gets me to leave the computer ..& go outside & get fresh air ..!!!

I got rid of 2 of my heated water dishes ..One I took ..My Fermented Feed was Freezing ..LoL
    1 - I sold on Ebay to someone who has chickens in Pennsylvania ..Which is what I bought them for in the 1st place ..For a Fellow Chickener s

The buyer from Penn : They have a curious practice ..Feeding Raw Hamburg to their chickens ..Does anyone else do that ?
    I know people do it with dogs ..Ick !
    I told them I didnt think it was a good idea . As hamburg is the easiest to be contaminated as it comes from different places & cows usually ..
    I am surprised their chickens arent sick !

It was a nice Day ..My chickens Enjoyed Scratching in the Non - Snow Places ..which are appearing more & more ! Take Care Everyone !

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    The 10/12 egg pound cake is really really rich and really easy. I don't even do all the fancy stuff - just mix the butter and sugar, throw in the eggs, mix, throw in flour, bake. :p

I hardly even eat the stuff - my husband is kind of a prepper and he wants to buy those 1000 calorie bars for 'survival' that are essentially pressed up flour and sugar. No need for that, we have frozen pound cakes - even better! :p

Anyone who needs eggs out saratoga way, let me know. I have even more than cass since I am getting over two dozen a day!! Green, blue, olive, brown, white, whatever you want. Should be hatchable in a bit, but not yet - only two roosters and 50 hens and I am guessing poor fertility right now. I'll be letting go of some hens soon too, just waiting for the stragglers to finish molting and for the snow to melt so everyone can get out and forage a bit. All of my chickens are < 2 years old.

9. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Featherz---if its a choice between those "survival" bars and pound cake, I;ll take the pound cake! At least it will taste good! Good luck downsizing. I guess your boys have their wings full keeping track of that many girls. Do you feed them extra so they can keep up? [​IMG]

Gramma--I have helped out chicks that started but couldnt finished. Its a tough call to do that because you really want the chick to do the job, Sometimes the chick cant get the last bit broken through so I gently break it for them and lift off the shell thats on their head. Usually that gives them the air and the resting time they need to finish getting out of the shell. As for the raw hamburger part, I dont think I would feed that to my cheeps. I have, however, fed them the raw venison scraps from butchering and they LOVED that!

My yard is much quieter this morning without my silkie boys. Of course Little Man and Legolas are still here but it was much quieter this morning. Legolas is happy to have his good looking women with him. He has begun acting more roostery, doing his little dance and dropping his wing, calling them to a treat. What a guy!

I think my big boys are put off by the saddles I put on theri favorite girls. I havent seen them mating with them. They just kind of look at them as they walk by and are quite puzzled by the contraption on their backs. Have to outfit the last three sexlinks with one. I am sure the girls wont mind the break from their attentions!

Now that everyone is out of my basement I can prep it for a brooder box. The month is flying by and I am hoping to fire up my new bators at the beginning of march.

Supposed to be warm the next couple of days and I am hoping my icy paths to the coops all melt. Almost killed myselt getting out to them yesterday. Have a good day all.

10. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

If you end up deciding to sell some naked necks, I wouldn't mind taking one or two off your hands. Just saying ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by