NY chicken lover!!!!

I just put the county, even tho I think it may be Onondagua. We moved to Syracuse for my husbands job-which is in the city.

It is Onondaga.

Can I get a show of hands on folks who are planning on getting chicks? See the thing is if I hatch more, I'm certain to have some I don't want and willing to give a way. I can't see runnig a half filled incubator.

I see people post on Ebay, "rare" olive eggers. Are they really that rare?

Last edited:
I've placed a bid for Basque eggs on E-bay. I don't expect to win but you never know. Does anyone like them? I don't expect to start with another breed, I just like to hatch.

OK -- I had to look up Basque chickens. I thought I had read about every breed! Nope! They're handsome looking birds, Rancher. Good luck with your bid.

TOB

It is Onondaga. 

Can I get a show of hands on folks who are planning on getting chicks?   See the thing is if I hatch more,  I'm certain to have some I don't want and willing to give a way. I can't see runnig a half filled incubator. 

Sometime this spring we would like to add a few more. Hubby keeps hoping for a broody to hatch and raise some for us. I like the GLW and EE I got from Morrisville, but think I'd like to try some Dels too. I tried looking up Basque chicken on yahoo, all I got was a bunch of French chicken recipes. On my wish list are Welsummer and some white and dark egg layers.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/510045/euskal-oiloa-basque-thread/2640
Not sure if this is the same basque breed, but they look neat!

Last edited:
Evening everyone. Came home to 14 eggs. Gave everyone some broccolirabe and apples. They wolfed it down so fast you wouldnt even know there was any food given to them! Filled feeders and waterers and gave everyone a looksee. Finished another saddle and put it on the hen that stayed downstairs last night. Seems the color green was something to squawk about at first. Everyone settled after that. I made another one tonight and will do another tomorrow. It will be good to have all the favorites covered as they are getting bare.

Rancher--it is hard to tell you whom I would trust more. You take a chance any time you are dealing with an unknown, whether on byc or ebay or anything else. I would be more likely to buy eggs/chicks from someone on this fourm than elsewhere because we have known each other through our postings for a while. Good luck with your bid and I hope your dw doesnt kill you when you reload that bator!

It is Onondaga.

Can I get a show of hands on folks who are planning on getting chicks? See the thing is if I hatch more, I'm certain to have some I don't want and willing to give a way. I can't see runnig a half filled incubator.

I see people post on Ebay, "rare" olive eggers. Are they really that rare?
Nope, not rare at all. Cross any blue gened roo with a brown egg laying hen and the offspring will lay a green egg. If you want Olive, use a Marans....if you just want greenish, use a Leghorn or some other brown egg laying breed.

Personally I am trying to breed an hen that lays a teal egg. Not really green, not really blue....but halfway between the two. I'll let you know how it goes. (Give me a couple of generations to get it right, K?

Nope, not rare at all. Cross any blue gened roo with a brown egg laying hen and the offspring will lay a green egg. If you want Olive, use a Marans....if you just want greenish, use a Leghorn or some other brown egg laying breed.

Personally I am trying to breed an hen that lays a teal egg. Not really green, not really blue....but halfway between the two. I'll let you know how it goes. (Give me a couple of generations to get it right, K?

Well I have noticed some breeds that have come down in price for eggs. Not the least the Swedish Flower hens. I sold mine since I can't keep to many breeds if I want to breed chickens. But I can hatch them if I want a mixed flock.

I have a Marans rooster and 4 EE/Amer hens that have just started to lay green eggs. I also have a Lav Amer rooster and Marans hens. I also have a pullet that has not started to lay yet. and a Del and a BR.

I expect that some, hopefully not all, of the new Marans chicks will be roosters.

A teal colored egg would be nice. Even nicer if you could stabilize the cross to get birds that consistently lay Teal colored eggs.

I just want lots of different colored eggs. Any mix of shades is fine.

How many here are set up to handle chicks?

Lapeerian - do you not have an incubator? I just saw a digital pink something or other on Ebay for $35 plus shipping. Not a brand I've seen before. It held 7 eggs I think.

Well I have noticed some breeds that have come down in price for eggs. Not the least the Swedish Flower hens. I sold mine since I can't keep to many breeds if I want to breed chickens. But I can hatch them if I want a mixed flock.

I have a Marans rooster and 4 EE/Amer hens that have just started to lay green eggs. I also have a Lav Amer rooster and Marans hens. I also have a pullet that has not started to lay yet. and a Del and a BR.

I expect that some, hopefully not all, of the new Marans chicks will be roosters.

A teal colored egg would be nice. Even nicer if you could stabilize the cross to get birds that consistently lay Teal colored eggs.

I just want lots of different colored eggs. Any mix of shades is fine.

How many here are set up to handle chicks?

Lapeerian - do you not have an incubator? I just saw a digital pink something or other on Ebay for $35 plus shipping. Not a brand I've seen before. It held 7 eggs I think.
You have a marans rooster that lays green eggs? I would think a rooster that lays any eggs is worth a pretty penny!!!!
lol.png

I just ordered 24 buckeye eggs to add to my buckeye flock for a little diversity. They are slated to arrive March 6!! Yippee!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom