NY chicken lover!!!!

The percentages are based on 100. So if you hatch out 100 chicks, then it should be half hens half roos. So when we hatch out only 10 or so, it could be 10 out of those 50% roos....
jumpy.gif

They also say a hen can determine the sex of her chicks....dont really know about that..
idunno.gif

Well, seeing how I never did well with those math word problems, I'm vaguely confused, LOL! This one sounds like it's pulled right from a standardized test in elementary school...shudders! No, seriously, I get it, thanks marquiesella!! Always an education on here...!

TOB

I also have heard that the hen determines the gender of the resulting chicks. I hope so. I have one lav Ameruacana who's eggs I have hatched and every single one of them was female. WOOHOOO....

I am going to be sure to put a LOT of her eggs in the mix for the Grade School.

I find that I can tell which egg is which... well, except the D'uccles...their's are all small and very very similiar...but the large fowl all lay very different eggs, both in color and size....so I can figure out what eggs to send out for hatching. I DEFINATELY want to hatch my Olive Eggers eggs...they are huge and she is bred with a blue gened roo...working on that Teal colored egg. :)

Now I absolutely cannot be allowed to have an incubator. I am sitting here thinking this "Ok, I'll put 4 -5 of her eggs in the 'bator and see how many females I get....if they are mostly roos I eat well this summer, but if they are hens then I will hatch their eggs and see if second generation female begets females. " I can NEVER ever ever be allowed to own an incubator. I don't own enough land to own an incubator.

Maybe I can rent a room from Tab and fill HER barn. LOL

TOB, while I have woods there is the creek that offers some separation from the main land. It's swampy other wise. I prefer to range if I can as it's expensive to have a large area for a run. Not to mention work.

The hoop run is easy enough but prices of everything have gone up and poultry wire is high. Though I will have to put up something.

I do let the Orps and CRs out as their run is on the small size. Because of the sceptic I can't plant any trees but may put in some small shrubs.

I lock everyone up at night so if any other than mice come around there'd be no reason to dig under. I have set traps and caught a few mice.

There is of course Mr. Rabbit who lives under the coop. He might be Mrs. as I've found bunnies a couple of years. I move them into the garden area where the chickens can't get them. They're just to cute.

Cass - if you have no problem giving chicks away and do it for the love of it, get an incubator. I've been contacted by the seniors home for eggs and will donate some. What they'll do with the chicks is up to them. I have donated to the schools.

Usually if I sell chicks it's cheap. I've paid a lot for some. The lav orps were $20 a chick. That is the most. I'm not NPIP certified but my understanding is you need to be to show and I don't show. It takes a lot focus and I've to many irons in the fire.

Apparently it is breeding season for coyotes?
We has seen and heard them in our yard in in the field across from the house every day for the past week. We have a couple big ones running around, no that I have seen where they cut through the yard I'm convinced they are what got my 3 I lost this summer.
somad.gif

The one we saw next to the coop the other morning looked like the size of a German Shepard, and the thing was mangy. We couldn't get the gun out fast enough to put it out of its misery, darn things are smart.
On the upside, someone wanted some eggs for hatching for their grandkids. Princesschick, we're gonna have grandchicks!!!
big_smile.png

Does that make me God-Gramma?
gig.gif

My two roos have grown up to be large, beautiful boys. Both have been pretty well behaved, too. I have recently started the "you will not mate in my presence" rule and they are learning quickly. Rooster Cogburn had a BA hen under his wing at bedtime tonight. Awwwww.

Last edited:
I need some recommendations on electric fence. Here's what I have...

My coop is appx. 20' by 12'. My attached run is appx. 50' by 150' (this may expand further at some point). I have 6' tall metal poles holding up 4' plastic fence. I will be adding another 2' of chicken wire to the top to prevent the chickens flying over. Right now, I just have some of the plastic fence held onto a screw to act as a door into the run, but that will soon be replaced by a wood framed chicken wire door.
I am clueless as to how the electric fence works. Is it a single wire that is fed through the fence? At what level do you put it? Do the chickens ever get zapped? How do you do a hinge for doorways?
Recommendations of brand name and strength? I want to protect from the usual... racoons, fox, coyote and hopefully weasels.
After seeing that fox yesterday, middle of the day, I realized how fast it could happen and wipe out my entire flock, especially with a coon. I would be heartbroken.

Just checked FB and was asked if I knew where someone can get two Silkie hens, preferably black? A friend's sister wants to get into showing them. I'm not sure how far she will travel, but maybe as close to Canandaigua as possible?

Rancher, my husband makes me ladders(think step) to put in the pastures for obstacles for hawk in the chicken pastures. It may or may not work. I know how easy it is to obsess about such a thing...it is terrible to loose something when you try so hard to keep it safe.
Ginny--what time are you serving the pound cake? I have to make travel plans!

Good luck on the bidding Rancher, I understand about the whole run thing for the newbies. I feel bad when I can only get mine out for an hour or so. I dont have any right now but I expect to in april.

Nice evening this evening. I hope its warm tomorrow. Night all.
Um tonight....it is better when it sits for a day...the flavors all meld....You and everyone else are always welcome!!!!!If you come north...let me know!!!
I know when I bred gecko eggs, people say not to help them. There is a reason they don't make it. I didn't have to make that decision, but I probably would've helped them.
I'll be looking into electric fence shortly, I think. On the way home from school today we saw a fox pouncing on something. About a quarter mile down the road, midafternoon.
somad.gif

My egg production is still high (knocking on wood). Had a record 31 eggs the other day from 35 hens.
I love my electric poultry net!! We have had foxes check it out and they leave...we still have them, but they are not a problem(the foxes)....

Just logged in on my PC and saw ducks on homepage! I want ducks!! My husband would kill me. I wonder if my neighbor would want to add to her flock. LOL She's got a nice little pond over there for them and everything. Someday....

Evening all. Took a page out of Ranchers book and did a complete cleanout of both silkie coops when I got home from work. I let Little Man and his women out to freerange and the divas. Took me a couple of hours to get everything done but I am glad its done. I thought Mean Marge was going to kill me today as she followed me all around, walked in front of me while I was carrying the full buckets of old litter. I almost fell twice trying to avoid her. She is a very nosy and talkative barred rock who feels its her duty to instruct me on everything, including the cleaning of everyone elses coops. Two others followed me to front of the house where I was working then couldnt figure out how to get back to their coop in the back. I let chicken daddy take care of the einsteins when he got home.

I didnt see any hawks around while the divas and silkies were out freeranging, which is good cause I was expecting to see at least one. Havent heard the coyotes in a while but I am sure they are around.

Rancher--do you advertise free chicks or is it word of mouth? I like hatching but dont know if this area would support free chicks. Weird I know.

Giving serious consideration to getting heritage rir's.

Back
Top Bottom